Sunday, May 26, 2013

KENTUCKY BUTTER CAKE

I'm not sure where I saw this cake for the first time, but I remember finding web page after web page saying how great this recipe was, so I knew I had to try it.

So, today was the day and all I have to say is: Holy Wack-a-Moley (as my grandchildren would say)it is delicious. Even picky-picky husband has had several pieces of cake today. 

It has a rich and moist butter-rum flavor and after it's baked (and still hot) you poke holes into the cake and drizzle over a butter-rum flavored syrup.I'm talking serious flavor here!!

The syrup finds its way down into the cake and the result is pure heaven. I hope you try it.

1 cup butter (room temperature)
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon rum extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk

Grease and flour a 10" Bundt pan and preheat your oven to 325°F.
Beat the butter, sugar and extracts on medium high speed for about 3 minutes, scraping down the bowl once or twice.

Add the eggs, one at a time (beating after each) and once they are all included, beat for about another minute or so.

Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together and add it to the butter mixture, alternately with the buttermilk (I added it in thirds).

This batter is nice and thick, so spoon it into the prepared Bundt pan and level out the top of the batter.

Bake at 325° for one hour or until a toothpick tests clean. My electric oven took exactly one hour.

Remove from oven and DO NOT REMOVE CAKE FROM THE PAN YET. Poke holes into the hot cake. I used the sharp end of my meat thermometer and it left a nice size hole. Don't poke the holes all the way down to the bottom of the pan, just about 3/4 of the way. I poked about 3 holes across, every two inches.  Drizzle syrup into holes.

SYRUP
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon rum extract

Heat this until sugar dissolves and little bubbles form around the edge of the pan, but don't boil.

After you drizzle the syrup over the cake (while its still in the pan) let the cake cool in the pan for a couple of hours before you turn it out onto a serving plate (it won't stick to the pan).

NOTE: Next time I make this cake I plan to double the syrup and use half of it as instructed above, but the other half I will brush onto the cake after it comes out of the pan.  It dries  nice and shiny, so it will make a wonderful (thin) glaze.