Saturday, May 18, 2013

CLASSIC CREAMY COLESLAW

The calendar says spring is here, although today (5/18/2013) it is snowing like crazy here in Alaska. I'm not letting that stop me from planning a barbecue this weekend (wish me luck!!).

THIS SALAD COULDN'T BE EASIER!!!

I love "make ahead" salads that go well with ANYTHING you decide to grill. This classic coleslaw recipe is not only refreshing, but it is inexpensive to make and you can make it 2-3 days ahead of time (if need be) which is wonderful for busy summer weekends.

If you make it ahead of time, just gently toss before serving

4 cups shredded cabbage
2 large carrots grated

1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (I use Honey Dijon)
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup milk

Whisk the last 9 ingredients together and toss with the shredded veggies. Mix well and Chill AT LEAST 2 hours (overnight is even better).  That's it, quick and simple!!

NOTE: We like a SMALL dice on our cabbage, so I cut up the cabbage then finish it off by pulsing it in the food processor until I get a pretty small dice, but that is just our personal preference.

You can also buy pre-cut coleslaw mix at the grocery store which makes this salad very quick.