Thursday, March 28, 2013

PINEAPPLE SAUCE FOR HAM

We love cranberry sauce with poultry, so I wanted to find a similar (but sweeter)recipe to serve with our Easter ham. Traditionally, I make mashed potatoes and gravy, but this year I am opting for potatoes au gratin, so I wanted a little something extra to serve with the ham (this is NOT a ham glaze, it is a condiment).

This recipe definitely was the BEST sauce I tried and it is so quick and easy (made with pantry staples) that I am certain I will be making it throughout the year. It is sweet but not overly sweet and has the consistency of a soft jam.

1/4 cup of water
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons ketchup
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons DRY mustard powder
8 ounce can crushed pineapple with juice

Mix well and bring to a boil; turn heat down to a simmer and cook gently for 20 minutes (start timer AFTER it comes to a simmer). This sauce will thicken a little more as it cools.

If you don't have 20 minutes for this to cook, just simmer gently for 10 minutes then thicken with a little cornstarch and water slurry. You will get the same consistency but I think it tastes better if you do the 20 minute simmer.

Serve at room temperature (or chilled), with baked ham.