Thursday, August 24, 2017

EASY CROCKPOT PICNIC BEANS

I've been making these beans for my family for 30+ years and they are always a hit. Now that we are empty nesters, I make a big pot of these and then freeze them in 2 cup containers for a quick and yummy addition to any meal. 



I put the following ingredients (which are always in my pantry) into the crockpot before I go to bed and let them cook on LOW all night.



2 cups DRY navy beans (do not soak)
6 cups water
1/2 cup dark brown sugar  (light brown sugar works well too)
3 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
3/4 cup sweet onion chopped small *see note below
(1) 8 ounce can tomato sauce
6 slices crisp cooked bacon

Now, a word about the beans:  Over the years, I've tried every kind of DRY bean there is and they ALL work, however, the tiny little "navy beans" work the best and tolerate re-heating without going mushy. I highly recommend that you use navy beans. Make sure you do NOT pre-soak the beans for this recipe.

Saute onions and fry bacon until almost crisp then drain well. Put everything into a large crockpot and cover with 6 cups of water. Stir well and set on low for 12 hours. The last 3-4 hours, prop the lid of the slow cooker open with a spoon, to thicken the juices. 


Note about onions: When I decide to make these beans and I'm out of fresh onions, I use a scant tablespoon of dehydrated onion flakes, they work well.


ENJOY !!!

7 comments:

Famous Positive Quotes said...

Amazing beans

Katy said...

Mmm, baked beans. I agree, navy beans are the best for this. I been thinking about making a pot of 'em and you have inspired me. As a *old* New Englander, grins, seems like a good Sunday project with some nice cornbread. Hmmm....now to look and see if I have everything.

MEAl5 said...

So delicious!

Anonymous said...

Made these last night and they were very watery, although I followed your recipe exactly. So I propped up the lid and let them cook another 4 hours (!), which helped some.

Coleens Recipes said...

TO ANONYMOUS: I have NEVER had problems with "watery beans" in this recipe, if ANYTHING, I've had to add a little water. Sorry they didn't work for you.
Coleen

Sue said...

I have not seen a new post from you since Aug 24th. Have you moved your blog? You are a great cook and I use many of your recipes. What is going on?

Coleens Recipes said...

Hello Sue.......nice to hear from you. No, I haven't moved my blog, I'm just in one of those ever puzzling cooking slumps and haven't tried any NEW recipes. Thanks for the note.