Saturday, April 6, 2013

AVOCADO EGG SALAD

This quick and HEALTHY change to mayo-laden egg salad was a huge success; we didn't miss the mayo at all!! It was light and delicious and packed with flavor. I can see countless possibilities with this little recipe (I'm already planning to add a few green onions? hot sauce?).

Personally, I enjoyed this salad just wrapped in a big leaf of lettuce, but Picky-Picky husband went for the traditional sandwich.
4 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
1 large ripe avocado
2 stalks celery chopped finely
1/3 cup diced tomato flesh (see note)
2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard (see note)
salt to taste (I just added a pinch)
pepper to taste (see note)

NOTE: NO MAYONNAISE!!

Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit and mash the flesh (I mashed about 3/4 of the flesh into a smooth paste and left 1/4 of the flesh in little chunks.

Stir the prepared yellow mustard, salt and pepper into the mashed avocado,  mix well.

Add the chopped eggs, celery and tomato and stir gently until well mixed.  That's it!!


NOTE: I wasn't sure how to explain "tomato flesh"; it just means leave out the juicy-seedy part of the tomato.

NOTE: Two tablespoons of yellow mustard is going to seem like a lot, but the final product does NOT taste overly mustardy, trust me. I just used plain old yellow hot dog mustard.

NOTE: I cook with coarsely ground black pepper, so I used a scant
half teaspoon. If you use finely ground pepper (it measures differently) use less.

NOTE: I put this salad in the fridge for several hours without any avocado darkening problems because I laid plastic wrap right on the surface of the salad and pressed down a little to force out all of the air. I'm not sure if it would turn dark overnight because it never lasts that long at our house.