Saturday, May 26, 2012

COOKIE BOWLS

Looking for a fun and inexpensive way to jazz up your next family gathering? Try these cookie bowls. Not only are they easy to do, but you can fill them with anything from pudding, to ice cream, to cheesecake. You can make the cookie bowls ahead of time and freeze them (unfilled); there are tons of possibilities.

The instructions for these cookie bowls called for forming them over an inverted cupcake pan, however, I wanted bigger (and thicker) ones because they were for a specific purpose and had to be strong enough to travel well, so I formed them over an inverted Texas size  muffin pan.

DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO MAKE THESE COOKIE BOWLS USING ALL BUTTER. IT WILL NOT WORK. THE DOUGH WILL SPREAD ALL OVER THE PLACE AND NOT FORM A BOWL !!!!!

1/4 cup butter flavored shortening (no substitutions)
1/4 cup butter (room temperature)(no substitutions)
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1½ cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips

Beat together shortening, butter and sugars in a large bowl; add the egg and vanilla; beat until well mixed.

Mix the flour and baking powder and gradually stir them into the batter; stir in the chocolate chips.

Put batter into a large plastic bag and flatten into a disk; chill for at least an hour. Preheat your oven to 375. Turn your cupcake (or muffin) pan upside down and cover every other one with foil.

NOTE: standard size cupcake pan requires a 4" circle of foil and the Texas size muffin pan requires a 6" circle of foil. Spray the foil with vegetable spray.
 NOTE: I used the new no stick foil and didn't have to spray it at all.

NOTE: If you are using a standard size cupcake pan, you can use full size paper cupcake liners instead of the foil.


Roll the chilled cookie dough  (between two pieces of waxed paper) out to about 1/8th inch or about the same as pie dough. Cut circles and drape over foil, smoothing wrinkles and/or cracks in the dough together and trimming to fit.



Bake 10-12 minutes or until light brown. Remove from oven and let them COOL ON THE PAN FOR 10 MINUTES BEFORE TRYING TO REMOVE THEM. After 10 minutes, gently lift them off of the pan (use the tip of a butter knife to lift one corner first) but DON'T REMOVE THE FOIL UNTIL THE COOKIE BOWL IS COMPLETELY COOLED. Fill just before serving.

41 comments:

Peggy Clyde said...

What a fun idea. I can think of many ways to use these. Thanks for sharing.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Very fun, I'm sure they were a big hit! Happy Memorial Day:@)

Cheese with Noodles said...

Very fun and clever idea here!! Mmmm, ice cream in a cookie bowl :)

Shelby said...

Love this idea!

Nancy said...

These look like something my kids would absolutely love! How many Texas size bowls did you get out of this recipe, Coleen? Just three?

Sonya said...

WOW..those look wonderful!

Coleens Recipes said...

To Nancy: I got 6 big bowls, but the recipe makes 10 regular size bowls.

Leslie said...

WHat a great little idea! The possibilities are just swirling in my head!

Unknown said...

I'm thinking Chocolate Mousse! ;)

rachel said...

i did this , and i added way to much cookie dough to the first pan.my next try i will put a little less on them and see how it goes! the cookie crumbs were great though!

Anonymous said...

I'll be making these for Fathers day, but I'll use a sugar cookie recipe & fill with berries & topwith whipped cream.

Great idea!

Tiffany said...

I saw this on Pinterest and thought I would try it just from the picture. I did not read your post first:( I used my own cookie recipe and put it over a muffin tin. The bowl worked but the cookie spread a lot on the bottom so I did not have nice little edges like you. Do you think it was the recipe or the fact that I did not chill the dough first? Since cookies normally spread how do you keep this from not spreading? Thanks for helping me.

Coleens Recipes said...

Tiffany: I'm guessing your cookie recipe is made with butter. Butter makes cookie dough spread. If you use shortening (I use butter flavor shortening) the cookies will not spread when you cook them. People freak out about using shortening in cookies, but in all reality shortening has HALF of the saturated fat of butter.

Kates said...

Thanks for answering Tiffany's question! I had the same issue when I tried this...the dough expanded waaay more than I planned for, dripped down all over the oven, it was a total disaster. I'm definitely going to try again with your recipe. :) And the aluminum foil is genius! can't wait to try again!

Dominique said...

I just tried and butter is indeed the enemy here, lol. Is there anyway it can be made with store bought refrigerated dough or the bag dry mix?

Linda said...

Guess I will have the same problem of the dough spreading. I dont know what shortening is so used butter and margarine . The dough already stuck to the paper,my hands and the glass I used to make a circle will see what it does when cooked. Linda

Rob Nash said...

I made this after seeing your post. My family really enjoyed it! And they thought I was creative...I had to say I saw it on pinterest:) Thank YOU!

Anonymous said...

Well, now we no the spreading problem was due to butter. We tried to take the easy route and bought TollHouse cookie dough, hahaha. For the 4th we will make the above recipe. :D

Anonymous said...

So, I'm confused about the note here. It says not to use "ALL the butter" but doesn't specify how much butter to use instead. Why even include the 1/4 cup amount in the recipe if you're just going to add a note saying not to use a 1/4 cup after all?

Coleens Recipes said...

To Anonymous: If you will re-read the instructions, it says not to use butter only (recipe calls for part shortening and part butter). Some people don't like to use shortening, so they want to use ALL butter, but doing that will make the cookie dough sag while baking.

Anonymous said...

@ Linda --LOL you don't know what shortening is? You are making the rest of us feel old! My kids said that when we were baking Christmas cookies this year! LOL Crisco shortening...

Anonymous said...

Where did you get the red snowman cupcake holders?

Anonymous said...

Love all these responses! Can't wait to make these ����

Stacie said...

So does premade cookie dough such as TollHouse not work??

Anonymous said...

I made them today! I used my own choc chip cookie recipe, because I am used to it. They look great! I can't wait for our kids to fill them with ice cream!

Anonymous said...

she's right. not using shortening makes them sag...bad!! lol

moreoatsplease said...

this sounds so tasty.... how about Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Dough Cups with vanilla icecream and granola.... I want to go try this now except I don't have shortening >-0

Joy Stover said...

I tried these and then dipped the rim in melted chocolate let it cool added vanilla ice cream and strawberries or raspberries...yummy!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing,my 3 1/2 year old grandson will love making and eating them!!!! He is the next Bobby Flay you know!!

Tracy said...

I can't wait to try these and Joy's idea sounds fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Do you have a sugar cookie recipe that will work with these?

Anonymous said...

This is the most amazing idea!!!

Anonymous said...

I've never seen this before! Incredibly brilliant! My son is going to love this!

Anonymous said...

Shortening can be found in the baking section of any grocery store. I comes in a can. the definition of shortening is: an edible fat used to shorten baked goods. I hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

Genius idea!!!!!!!

Brenda Morgan Townsend said...

You may know it as Crisco.

Anonymous said...

Just finished my first attempt with Pillsbury sugar cookie dough Many of them are fine. I learned alot and will keep practicing. They are darling. Will fill them with unbaked cheesecake and cherry pie filling. So creative, thanks.

Anonymous said...

I loved the idea! Made these today very cute they tasted just ok for me but it is something different!

Colleen said...

these cookie cups are darling.
I remember when I was younger that my mom used lard in baking. Needless to say, that was many, many years ago.
I also thought about using the foil cupcake lines in place of cutting circles from my foil.
How cute these would be making mini ones; when cool, dip the rims in chocolate and adding a peanut butter cup or other candy and just putting in microwave for a few seconds just until the candy begins to soften and top with a marshmallow. What a sweet candy treat these would make.
Thank you
ColleenB.
Texas

Anonymous said...

Hi Coleen,
Just ran across your blog and I love love love your recipes. I have a closed group on facebook and I know they would love for me tp post some of you recipe... would that be OK? I will always link back to your blog...
waiting on your reply
Have a blessed day
Cherie

Coleens Recipes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.