Sunday, April 8, 2012

MAPLE PECAN PIE

Picky-picky husband quizzed me on what flavor pie I was making this morning and when I told him it was maple pecan, my "pecan pie purist" husband wrinkled up his nose and went silent...(no fear...I'm used to that response ha! ha!). However, I've noticed him cutting extra slices from the pie more than once today, so I'm guessing he approves (everyone else loved it too!!).

This recipe is a nice, sweet change from traditional pecan pie since it's made with real maple syrup and it goes together quick and easy!! 

2 teaspoons butter
1½ cups pecans
3 eggs
1 cup real maple syrup (not pancake syrup)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon maple extract
1/2 teaspoon salt

Melt 2 teaspoons of butter in a frying pan and toast the pecans for a couple of minutes. Be very careful because they burn FAST!! Let the toasted nuts cool for about 10 minutes before adding them to the pie filling.

Mix everything else in a large bowl, using a whisk to combine well.  Stir in the cooled pecans and pour this filling into an unbaked 9" pie shell.

Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until the filling is set and puffs a little. My oven takes the full 50 minutes.  Cool to room temperature before slicing.

NOTE: The first time I made this pie, I didn't watch the pecans close enough and they scorched (an expensive lesson!!). So most of the time, I toast them in the oven while it is preheating (just to be safe).