Wednesday, April 11, 2012

BACON

Mmmmm, Bacon!!

I am never frying bacon again!! Don't get me wrong, we are not removing bacon from our menu, it is just the frying method that I will never do again. Don't you hate cramming 4 or 5 pieces, at a time, into your largest frying pan... trying to get them all to lay flat as they curl up and leave those white fatty ends on each piece?!?!?  Me too, so I went on an Internet hunt for a "flat bacon miracle" and I found a super easy one!! Maybe everyone already knows about this method, but I sure didn't and I can tell you right now, I'll never fry bacon in a frying pan again!!

Using a large baking sheet that has a lip on it, spray it with a little cooking spray (probably not really necessary, but it makes for easier clean up) and line up the raw bacon slices, side by side, like this (my baking sheet cooked a 12 ounce package of bacon all at once.
Now, depending on how thick your bacon is and how hot your oven runs, it takes roughly 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees (I don't even pre-heat the oven) to bake the whole package at once!! No turning slices, no splattering in your oven, no bacon fat skin burns and no curly bacon....its magic!!

Start watching the bacon at about 20 minutes for regular thickness sliced bacon (I've never timed the thick sliced stuff). It comes out absolutely perfectly flat and Picky-picky husband who is one of the strictest bacon critics that I've ever met, gave this bacon BOTH thumbs up and raved about what a great texture and taste it had.....well, blow me over!!
Not only is this a wonderful way to cook mass amounts of bacon, but it leaves your entire cooking range free for whatever!!

NOTE: If you like super crispy bacon, just leave it in for an extra minute.

16 comments:

Annie Miebs said...

i can't believe i'm reading this post tonight! i made BLTs for dinner, and of course, i'm was cursing the bacon in frustration of it splattering and curling up at the ends!!! you're a lifesaver. one of those, "duh, why didn't i think of that" routines, right?!

Peggy Clyde said...

I have tried this and it works very well. It looks like you lined the pan with foil. I line it with heavy duty foil and let the grease set up in the foil and throw the whole mess away. Such easy cleanup. Great tasting bacon, too. Thanks for reminding me of this.

teresa said...

I have been cooking my bacon like this off and on for years. It really is the best way :-)

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Sounds like a great tip! The next time I make bacon I'll give it a try:@)

Donna said...

Coleen, I love that us serious cooks are never too old to learn new tricks!LOL.I am sick of the old way of cooking bacon too and will definately try this.Thanks for the tip,it was new to me also.

peggy said...

Bacon has changed over the years and is harder to fry nicely. I have done mine this way and like it, also have coated it with flour and baked on parchment paper. It is really crispy that way too. I like the easy clean-up.

Colleen said...

Want an extra flavorful bacon baked like this? Mix brown sugar and chili powder together (I just eyeball it) and press the bacon on it to coat it. I line a large baking sheet like you did with foil and use a rack sprayed with vegetable spray and lay the bacon strips on it so the grease drips down into the foil-lined pan. Maybe "picky husband" won't like it this way but believe me, I've made it for some picky eaters and they loved it :)

Leslie said...

Yep, this is how I cook my bacon all the time!!! Love it!

Steveandfreddy said...

This is a great way to cook bacon! I want to try this next time I make bacon.It looks like it's worth the wait instead of frying that's for sure all that HOT grease spatter ick. Thank for sharing :)

Penny Wolf said...

I use a broiler pan with great results as well. Love your site!

Shelby said...

I've made mine this way too. I usually do it when I'm cooking for more than two . 😊

Jan - Life on Buttermilk Hill said...

I've been doing bacon this way for a few years when I need a lot for the whole family. Works great, doesn't splatter, and the kitchen isn't full of smoke.--Jan

Marge said...

I'm right there with you! I recently 'discovered' this method too, but a little differently. With me, it's frying country ham and spending the time turn and turning until it's perfectly done. I noticed the package (yes I finally red it) had directions for cooking in the oven. It turned out just as good as using the frying pan! Since then, I've done turkey bacon and turkey sausage in the oven too and it's perfect!

Carol said...

We do this too. While the ovens hot, you can even fry your eggs right on the pan. I pour off the excess fat and then crack the egg and season. Stick it back into the oven and flip when the first side is done.

Mary said...

Do u cover the top with foil too or no? If u don't cover it won't it splash and make a greasy mess LMK thanks :)

Coleens Recipes said...

Mary: No, do not cover and no it never makes a mess!!