Monday, October 31, 2011

APPLE CRISP FOR TWO

Click on photo
I call this apple crisp for two, although I guess that is a bit of a misnomer. It actually makes 3 large desserts (like the above photo), so in my warped sense of proportions, it is apple crisp for two (and a little more for later) haha.  This can easily be doubled (just bake it a little longer).

I love a good fruit crisp. I like the topping slightly crunchy (but not HARD crunchy) and I like it to have lots of gooey filling. This is one of the best crisps we've tried in years.

2 large Granny Smith apples (see note)
¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg (optional)

Peel, core and thinly slice the apples. Toss with the above ingredients and place in a greased baking dish (I use a 9" x 5" loaf pan). Sprinkle two tablespoons of water over the filling. NOTE: Don't mix the water into the above mixture, just sprinkle it evenly OVER the filling; trust me it works perfectly and makes the BEST sauce.

For the topping, mix
¼ cup quick oats
¼ cup all purpose flour
¼ cup brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons melted butter

Use a spoon and mix the topping ingredients until everything seems coated with butter. Evenly sprinkle it over the fruit filling. Bake in pre-heated 350 oven for 30-35 minutes or until apples are tender.  Let cool 15 minutes before serving (if you can wait that long).


NOTE: Make sure you use a good baking apple like Granny Smith. Regular eating apples don't work well in this kind of recipe (they get mushy).

NOTE: If you want to make dessert for 6, just double the recipe and cook for 45 minutes in an 8" x 8" pan.

9 comments:

Donna said...

You must be a mind reader! Have 2 apples I didn't know what to do with and saw your recipe this a.m.! Can't wait to try this.Yum.

Mr. Bill said...

Thanks for another keeper!!

Peggy Clyde said...

Yummy, yummy, yummy looking. I'm sure it tasted great, too. Thanks.

betty r said...

Coleen, that's just perfect..topping should be crunchy but not hard crunchy.
And I think this recipe would work just fine for two:) You can tell I like my desserts!

Kathleen said...

All I can say is Super Yum!!! Love the "2" servings!

Mini Baker said...

Haha that looks like a pretty awesome single serving :) delicious!

Catherine said...

Dear Colleen, I am new to your blog and it looks delicious! This apple crisp would go great with ice cream. I don't blame you for saving a little for later. I am following your blog. I would love if you would visit my blog too and follow it if you like it. Blessings, Catherine

jackatessa said...

This is a great idea to use up the last few apples that never seem to get eaten. Thanks Coleen! Looks delish!

Tricia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.