Tuesday, August 16, 2011


It is lunch box time again!! Can it be time for kids to go back to school already? These quick and easy sugar cookies are sweet, buttery and chewy. Frosting them definitely is not necessary, but Hubby loves them that way, so...

1 cup butter (room temperature)
1¼ cups granulated sugar
3 egg YOLKS
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2½ cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
extra sugar to roll cookies in before baking

Cream 1 cup of butter with 1¼ cups of granulated sugar; add the egg yolks and vanilla and beat until smooth.
Add the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar, beat until smooth.

Form dough into balls (about the size of a small walnut) and roll in granulated sugar. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet (or sheet sprayed with cooking spray). DO NOT FLATTEN.

Bake at 350F for 10-11 minutes, or until tops are cracked and just starting to turn golden. Carefully remove to cooling rack.   Makes 3 dozen.
NOTE:  Due to egg yolk size differences (and therefore amount of liquid differences), if your cookie dough seems a little dry, mix in a tablespoon of water.


Debbie said...

I can never resist a good sugar cookie. Never made cookies just using the yolks. Sounds great Coleen!

Peggy Clyde said...

I love sugar cookies, especially when I don't have to roll them out. Thanks.

Donna-FFW said...

My kids would enjoy with the frosting as well!!

Mary said...

I can't believe the summer has passed so quickly and that it's time again for lunch boxes. Your cookies sound wonderful and would be a perfect addition for lunch away from home. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Anonymous said...

Coleen, You such an amazing and inspiring cook! These cookies look really good but they will be absolutely complete if they had frosting on them. My 3 year old, who is a picky eater, will devour these. Can you share the recipe for the frosting? Thank you for all your hard work and keep these amazing recipes coming.

Erica said...

Wow, that looks super delicious.

affordable insurance

Katy said...

I'm with Debbie and Peggy, I cannot resist a sugar cookie! YUMMERS!!

girlichef said...

My kids would be so excited to open up their lunch box and find one of these cookies...I love soft, chewy sugar cookies!

Laura said...

I love them rolled in sugar, it's the gritty crunch that gets me!

charlotte mgcc said...

no icing needed for me, i can just imagine this with a nice cup of tea. i love sugar cookies and the fact that they don't have to be rolled out is a bonus! thank you for sharing your great recipes. i enjoy your blog.

Anonymous said...

Hi Coleen,
I am back, like 4 years later, but I am back to this same recipe!!! I am a young mom and my daughter is now 7 years old. This Christmas, she and I decided to revisit some of our favorite recipes that we really liked.
I really, really like how you can use the egg yolks, which I typically have some left over. Also, these cookies are very soft, chewy and very delicious without having to add any additional fat. Also, if I eat anything that contains shortening, I get sick and this recipe does not use any shortening, yet the texture of the cookie is so soft.

I follow your recipe, and for my taste I adjust the following:
I add only 1c of sugar (because the coating has plenty),
add little bit less baking soda,
also, I add a little lemon juice into b.soda to activate it.
The last thing, is I add cinnamon into the sugar coating and it turns them into the snickerdoodles cookies.
So, with just this recipe, I get 1/2 sugar and 1/2 snickerdoodle cookies. I use the small ice cream scoop and it makes almost 4 dozen!!! Thank you Coleen so much for sharing with us your priceless jewels!!!!! -Tanya