Monday, August 22, 2011

BREAKFAST SAUSAGE

We enjoyed the Italian sausage recipe (that I recently posted) so much, that I went searching for a breakfast sausage recipe and I found an EXCELLENT one. It tastes a little like Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage, although we think it is much better.

This new recipe received an enthusiastic thumbs up from my "picky-picky husband" and recent breakfast guests. It is super easy to make; just mix the spices into the pork the night before you plan to use it and you are good to go!!

Since this recipe makes two pounds of sausage (more than we can use at one time), I let the  mixture chill in the fridge overnight, then I package it up in single meal size packages and freeze it. I will not be buying commercial breakfast sausage ever again and we can't wait to use this for biscuits and gravy!!
This sausage is mild, but full of flavor!!

2 pounds of ground pork
2 teaspoons dry rubbed sage
¼ teaspoon summer savory
¼ teaspoon dry marjoram
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (see note)
pinch ground cloves (you can't taste it, but it really adds something)
1¾ teaspoons salt (see note)
1 teaspoon black pepper

Mix everything (except the pork) together first, then use your (washed) hands to work it all into the pork. Cover and chill several hours or overnight.

NOTE: Hubby is very shy of anything with "heat" and he couldn't even tell that the red pepper flakes were in the recipe, although they definitely add a GREAT background flavor. If you like a little more spice in your breakfast sausage, just add more red pepper flakes.

NOTE:  This recipe calls for 1¾ teaspoons of salt, which was just right for us, however, if you are hyper-sensitive to salt, you might cut this amount down to 1½ teaspoons.

12 comments:

girlichef said...

I have this "thing" with breakfast sausage. I love Bob Evans and find myself comparing everything to it. I know I just need to get off my butt and go "homemade" like you've been doing. This sounds really great, I like the seasonings!

Mary said...

This is a really nice recipe. I don't often make sausage but it used to make a regular appearance on our weekend table. I love the seasonings you've used here. I'll wager this was delicious. Have a wonderful day, Blessings...Mary

jackatessa said...

This looks great! I hate to have to buy sausage (it can be so expensive!), so making it at home is such a great alternative. Thanks for the recipe!

Donna said...

You had me with the Italian sausage,now I'm gonna trust you with this! How come I didn't know about this years ago?LOL.I'm loving the homemade versions.Thanks Coleen.

peggy said...

Way back we had A & P whole hog sausage that was delicious. I find all brands now to be rubbery, so I will try yours. If you have a Cowboy Candy recipe, I am looking for a good one. Your recipes are reliable and delicious.

teresa said...

i just love the idea of homemade sausage, this looks amazing!

girls who like to gorge said...

Ohhh, this sounds really good! I love the idea of a home-made sausage.. it's nice that you know exactly what's going in it!xx

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for a long time and love to go back through it to see what I missed. You may not see this comment but what is "Savory Summer"

Thanks!

Coleens Recipes said...

To Anonymous: Summer Savory is an herb.

Roger said...

I saw no point in leaving a comment before trying your recipe and now that I have I must tell you it was fantastic! You're right, it is mild but another 1/8 t of pepper flakes will be perfect for me. I'm so glad I stumbled upon your recipe today after weeks of failed attempts with other "awesomely reviewed" recipes. It really means a lot for me to find this because to me it IS breakfast sausage without all the loud flavors which can be added later if you want to experiment. With my first bite I just started smiling. My Kroger didn't have Marjoram or Summer Savory but I found them at Meijer if that helps some of your viewers. Now I'll have to try your Italian Sausage recipe. I can't thank you enough and I'll definitely be a regular visitor to your site. Happy, happy, happy!

Roger said...

It was fantastic!! Just what I wanted.

Anonymous said...

This is a great recipe!as I am a fussy with my sausage I love bob Evans sausage but can not duplicate it. I went to the store and purchased 4 pounds of ground pork and made 2 pounds of this, it was good. I then made a second batch and put some more sage, pepper and red pepper in it and loved it!! My family processed 4 hogs and we made 60 pounds of this breakfast sausage and 40 pounds of the Italian which is excellent as well! thanks for the recipe, it was a big help! Thanks, Ron