Friday, July 15, 2011


I have an admission to make and, in a round about way, it has something to do with today's recipe. The last few years I have suffered from agoraphobia. I panic at the thought of going out in public. I used to love shopping for groceries every two or three days, now I have to force myself out of the house every 7 to 10 days (and then it ends up being a speed trip out and back). There is no reason for this (late in life) development; it is what it is, I guess; I try not to worry about it.

Because of this "disorder", I find myself running out of key recipe ingredients more than I care to. That's where today's recipe comes in.  We planned on cooking outdoors yesterday and I was out of BBQ sauce, so I  tried this recipe. It is made out of common, everyday ingredients,(a good thing for ME) and it is delicious!! I highly recommend it.

1 cup ketchup
2 to 3 tablespoons brown sugar (I used dark brown)
2 tablespoons cider vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon DRY mustard powder
¼ teaspoon salt

Simmer all of the ingredients for a couple of minutes, then cool.  It couldn't be easier!!!

NOTE: Recipe calls for 2 to 3 tablespoons brown sugar. Hubby likes a sweeter BBQ sauce, so I used 3 tablespoons.


Donna said...

Coleen,Paula Deen said she didn't leave her house for 10 years and look what happened to her!I am getting to the same point as you but don't sweat it. The world is getting so crazy out there that most times who'd WANT to be out in it?

Cody said...

Thanks for posting this recipe, I hate using the store bought stuff because it all hes high fructose corn syrup, which I hate!!! I can't wait to try this. If I love it I will share it on my blog and link back to you.

Pip said...

That looks delicious!

Katy ~ said...

Coleen, I don't think I'm agoraphobic, but I do love being home. I am fortunate enough to have a full time job w/complete benes that allows me to work on a company-provided laptop. My days are spent in near solutide, with most work communication done through email. It is shear drudgery for me to have to go into the office, and when I'm there, I'm a bit of a recluse. We rarely socialize, and when we do it's family gatherings. I don't have an interest in socializing per se, though I love my bloggy friends. The world is too much with us, isn't that the quote? I'll take being home most any day.


recipes for bbq said...

I love to eat meat and potato eaters. Suggest me some bbq recipes to combine the two. bbq recipes are easy to make any enjoyable.