Monday, July 25, 2011


We love this barbecue sauce; I can't remember exactly where I found it, but it is a keeper. I usually double this recipe then store it in mason jars in the fridge. It lasts for weeks. It is a thinner sauce than some of the ultra-thick commercial sauces, but we like that. It is light, smokey, sweet and delicious. It is awesome for pulled pork too.

2 cups ketchup
1 cup water
½ cup apple cider vinegar
5 tablespoons white sugar
5 tablespoons brown sugar (I use dark brown sugar)
1½ teaspoons black pepper
1½ teaspoons dry mustard powder
1½ teaspoons dry onion powder (not onion salt)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon liquid smoke

Mix well and simmer (uncovered) for 1½ hours, cool before using. This sauce smells a little vinegar-y while cooking, but the final product is on the sweet side. I like making it a day ahead and storing it in the fridge to let the flavors blend, but that isn't totally necessary.

NOTE: If you like "heat" in your barbecue sauce, just add a little red pepper flakes to the recipe.

NOTE: I often cook this in the crockpot, on high for about 3 hours with the lid propped open a little, with a spoon.

This recipe makes 3 cups of sauce.


Mary said...

Excellent sauce!

Donna (Texas) said...

Yum!!! Sounds good...I'll have to make this!
Have a great day!

Debbie said...

Sounds delicious. My husband is a huge BBQ fan. I'll have to show him your recipe!

Kelly said...

Have you ever canned this, Coleen? Looks wonderful-but wondering if it has enough acid in it to can.

Coleen said...

To Kelly, No, I've never tried to can this sauce, it doesn't last that long around our house. It does last for weeks in the fridge, so I've never seen a need to preserve it longer than that.

teresa said...

homemade bbq sauce is the best!

Mini Baker said...

still haven't made homemade bbq sauce yet, but this just inspired me to do so!

recipes for bbq said...

You may always find that the bbq recipes that you are using are creating food that is milder than you would prefer. To really get the most out of your grilling i am looking for various recipes for bbq. So please share your experience with me.