Sunday, May 8, 2011

MOCK PECAN PIE

I know it is hard to imagine a pecan pie without pecans, right? Well, whether you have nut allergies, or you are like me and find it harder and harder to pay nearly $10 a pound for pecans, you might give this fun, quick and easy recipe a try.
 This recipe uses plain old rolled oats instead of pecans. Sounds strange, I know, but the oats soak in the butter and sugars and bake into a golden brown and crunchy topping that sits on top of a traditional soft sweet filling.  As a test, I gave Picky Picky Hubby a slice after dinner and never mentioned the rolled oats. He ate a few bites, declared the pie a "winner" and then said, "I thought you said you were out of nuts" (he thought he was eating nuts)!! It really is tasty.

¾ cup light corn syrup
¾ cup granulated sugar
3 eggs lightly beaten
1 cup rolled oats (quick cooking is OK if necessary)
¼ cup melted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
9" unbaked pie crust
This takes about "three seconds" to mix up; just mix everything in a bowl (with a whisk) until smooth and pour into unbaked 9" pie shell.  Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 60 minutes or until knife inserted in middle comes out clean (my oven took 50 minutes).  That's it!! Quick and easy.

The baked "nut" topping is nice and crunchy and does not taste like oatmeal at all!!  Picky Picky Hubby has told me how much he likes the pie THREE times this evening (that's rare).

8 comments:

Ana Rita said...

OMG!!!That last photo with the slice is just so tempting....

Kisses,
Rita

Ana Powell said...

Happy Mothers Day
A great classic and so delicious ♥

Barbara Bakes said...

What a fun recipe. I'll have to try it soon.

Katy said...

You know I'm going to have to make this. Ole Sweetie-pi brakes at the sight of nuts but I think he might try this. Sounds like a delicious compromise. Thanks, Coleen. Looks like a keeper!

Peggy Clyde. said...

I love pecan pie, but it is expensive to make. This sounds like a good substitute. Thanks.

Romney Family said...

Pecan pie is my favorite(other than cheesecake) so I am definitely putting this recipe on my to make list. Way easy and cheaper than buying pecans. THanks for sharing!!

Monica H said...

I happen to be blessed with pecans since my in-laws have a couple trees on their property. FIL picks and shells them for me even. Lucky girl I know!

I will have to give this a try though because we LOVE pecan pie. I wonder if I can trick my husband? :-)

betty r said...

This does sound good and with the price of pecans it's good to know there is a cheaper substitute. Thank you Coleen!