Wednesday, March 9, 2011

SUBWAY SWEET ONION CHICKEN TERIYAKI SANDWICH

This is a "knock off" recipe for Subway's sweet onion chicken teriyaki sandwich. It is delicious, only about 370 calories and very quick to fix (as long as you make the sweet onion sauce a day ahead).

 

 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins
.¼ cup soy sauce
¾ cup pineapple juice
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon dry mustard
¼ teaspoon white pepper
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
.
Bring everything but the chicken to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes or until it starts to reduce. Cool completely and pour over the chicken, cover and refrigerate the chicken for about 30-60 minutes.
.
When it's time to eat, take the chicken out of the marinade (throw marinade away) and grill or broil the chicken until done (don't over cook).
.
Place chicken pieces in grilled bun and add favorite toppings. Drizzle with sweet onion sauce. Mmmmmmmmmmm!!! Makes about 6 sandwiches.


SUBWAY SWEET ONION SAUCE This is SO tasty and I find all sorts of uses for it. It is not overly onion-y and not overly sweet. Make it a day ahead of time to let the flavors blend and mellow.

½ cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon finely minced Vidalia onion
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons white distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon buttermilk powder
¼ teaspoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon poppy seeds
1/8 teaspoon salt
pinch cracked black pepper
pinch garlic powder
.
Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil for about 30 seconds. Whisk well and cover and chill overnight.

NOTE: If you don't have Vidalia onion, a white onion will work, just mince it VERY finely. I've even used re-hydrated onion flakes successfully, although the vidalia onion is best.

25 comments:

Ana Rita said...

I could eat one right now!!!
So good!

Kisses,
Rita

girlichef said...

Oh, I am so making this. Tomorrow! Sounds so tasty...and I always thought it sounded tasty when I saw the Subway commercials, so now even better I can make it at home. thanks, Coleen =)

Soumya Vineeth said...

Ohh me!! they have left me in hunger!! so much lovely!

Peggy Clyde. said...

I can't thank you enough for the sweet onion dressing recipe. I love that stuff. Thanks.

oliemommy said...

The the onion sauce, can you use something else for the 1 ts buttermilk powder? I don't use buttermilk powder and would hate to buy a box just for a teaspoon. Any ideas?

Sherry

Harika's Kitchen said...

Wow very yummy looks as it is like subway...

Coleen's Recipes said...

TO OLIMMMY:If you don'thave buttermilk powder, just use buttermilk.

Sonya said...

YUM!!! boy I need to see if they have buttermilk powder over here..I would love to make this!

Sonya said...

oops just saw what you said about using just buttermilk..so making this!

Lara said...

My favorite Subway sandwich! I'm so saving this recipe for a rainy day!

teresa said...

this is one of my subway faves! what a great recipe, i can't wait to try it!

Romantisch Hotel Bruges said...

Lovely and colorful recipes!! nice look sandwich and my favorite food. really very testy food and i planning today make this food at my home...

Lisa said...

This is so cool! This is my mom's go-to sandwich at Subway. I'll have to keep this one on file.

oliemommy said...

Just made the Sweet Onion sauce.
It's cooling off now. I licked the bowl and it's way good. Can't wait to put it in a sandwich.

oliemommy said...

Made the sandwich for supper tonight.
Hubby loved it. Dressing is wonderful. Thanks.

Sherry

Katy ~ said...

Bookmarked! This is one of Ole Sweetie-Pi's favorite Subway sandwiches. Can't wait to try this, Coleen! What a terrific find. Thank you so much for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

Mom moved in and I have to get her one of these at least once a week. I want to try this cause it should save some money on gas and the sandwich.
Can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.

R Lockhart said...

oh YUM! can't wait to try this! this is my FAVORITE subway sub...now if only I can find a recipe for their italian herb and cheese rolls since that is the one I always get it on. :D

Helga said...

this sounds YUMMY!!!

Cassi M said...

YES! That sweet onion sauce was so darn good! It is my one addiction at Subway and now I can have it at home! Thank YOU!

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorites! I make this often.

Anonymous said...

Help... Is cultured buttermilk he same as powder butter milk. I can't find powder kind but culture kind. Help

Coleens Recipes said...

I don't see why real buttermilk wouldn't work. But if you want the powdered stuff, its on the baking aisle in a round tin.

Anonymous said...

How long does this sauce last before going bad?

Anonymous said...

This tasted EXACTLY like Subways sauce. /s