Monday, November 1, 2010


This simple (and versatile) little side dish is just delightful. The orzo is toasted in butter before boiling, which adds an extra flavor, then it is tossed with Parmesan and fresh basil. Whether you use it as a side dish or a main dish, it is a very nice change.2 tablespoons butter
1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
2 + 1/4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
pinch of red pepper flakes
Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed pan that has a tight fitting lid. Add the UNCOOKED orzo pasta and stir until completely coated with the butter. Cook on medium-high until the pasta turns golden to lightly brown (watch it because once it starts to turn, it turns quickly).
Stir in the chicken broth, red pepper lakes, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer until the orzo is tender and liquid is (almost) all absorbed. This will take 15 to 20 minutes depending on how fast your simmer is.
When orzo is tender, remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Serve hot.
NOTE: Just about anything can be added to this recipe, next time I think I'll include a little crisp bacon some mushrooms!!!


Donna-FFW said...

Crispy bacon sounds like a wonderful addition.. almost like a homemade rice a roni!But worlds better, Id bet!

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

We love orzo in our house, and this sounds like a delicious recipe. Thanks for sharing it.

Lisa said...

This sounds almost like a risotto made of orzo. I love the idea of toasting it to give it flavor. By the way, I'm holding a CSN giveaway on my blog and you're welcome to come by and enter.

Ingrid said...

Wonderful! Orzo pasta is my family's favorite pasta. I've never made it your way but will now. Sound delicious. Thanks!

Ana Powell said...

Yes please, great dish ♥

Christina said...

Oh yum this looks and sounds delicious!!

Ingrid said...

Hi, Coleen! Just wanted to let you know I made my orzo your way and it came out delish! :) Along with the parm cheese (at the end) I added sundried tomato pesto and pre-cooked shrimp. At the table we squeezed some lemon juice over it as well as a little more freshly grated parm cheese. Thanks for the recipe! It's a keeper.

Laura said...

Oh this looks dangerously good Coleen. I love orzo too a very under appreciated past in my humble opinion.

Thanks for linking up to Just Another Meatless Monday, it's nice to have you here!

Judy said...

Coleen, this is rice-a-roni w/o the rice! Very clever use of orzo. I'll be trying this one for my hubby who is mad about rice-a-roni.

Leslie said...

mmmm.I make my orzo like this as well..but I add some white wine!!!

Peggy Clyde. said...

I have never tried to cook orzo. I guess I'm going to have to try it. Thanks.

Monica H said...

I've had orzo, but I have never made it before. This sounds like the perfect reipe to try out.

Katy ~ said...

I love FFW's idea of adding bacon to this. Guess you know this is another one of your delicious recipes that I'll be adding to my must do list :)