Wednesday, November 10, 2010

KID FRIENDLY JELLO FROSTING!!

UPDATE: New sugar free option at the end of this post.

UPDATE: Since posting this on Pinterest, a few people have commented that  this frosting deflated on them after a day at room temperature. I've never had this problem, because I live in a DRY climate, but those of you living in HUMID climates are having this problem. So... if you live in a humid climate, you'll need to store the frosted cake in the fridge.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This frosting recipe has a lot of things going for it. It is fast, super light, smooth and creamy on the tongue (very similar to a 7 minute frosting, but so much easier). Neatest of all, is that it is flavored with jello, so you can make it in ANY Jello flavor you like...watermelon? blueberry? pina colada? Kids will LOVE this frosting.

3 ounce pkg. of Jello (favorite flavor)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 egg white
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup BOILING water

Place the Jello powder, granulated sugar, egg white and vanilla in a GLASS OR METAL mixing bowl of a stand mixer. DO NOT USE PLASTIC and make sure your glass or metal bowl is clean of any grease or oil.

Turn the mixer on HIGH and immediately add the half cup of BOILING water. Whip on high for five minutes and you will get this:

 NOTE: This recipe only seems to work if you use a  stand mixer, with whisk attachment. Also, make sure you use a glass or metal mixing bowl, do not try this with a plastic bowl.

NOTE: Some people have commented that they don't think raw egg whites are safe for children to eat. The egg whites in this recipe are no longer raw after you add the BOILING WATER.

NOTE: This recipe makes enough to frost 24 cupcakes, or a 9 x 13 cake. If you are going to do any piping or edges, you might have to double the recipe.


NOTE: This frosting pipes beautifully and holds its shape well. Like any 7 minute type frosting, it does get a little sticky/tacky the second day, so its best if you make it the day you want to serve it. If you have to make it the night before, just store it in an airtight container that doesn't touch the frosting.


NOTE: This frosting has so many fun possibilities for birthday cakes/cupcakes. It would also make a wonderful filling.


SUGAR FREE FROSTING OPTION

Since putting this recipe on Pinterest, I have heard from several people who are wondering about the possibility of sugar free jello and Splenda...well, I had to try it.

First of all, we didn't like it as much as the original recipe (with regular jello and granulated sugar). The taste was good, but the texture of the sugar free version + Splenda was just a little too foamy for us (that didn't stop us from eating it though...lol)

I followed the original recipe, substituting exact amounts with the sugar free products
I used 2/3 cup of granulated Splenda, 1 egg white, 1 teaspoon vanilla and a small (4 serving) size box of sugar free jello.  I mixed those items together in my stand mixer and added 1/2 cup of BOILING (not just hot) water while the mixer was running on HIGH. Let the boiling water run down the inside of the mixing bowl, so it cools off a couple degree's before hitting the egg white.

Mix on HIGH setting for at least 5 minutes (will take longer if you are in a humid climate). After 5 minutes, my frosting looked like this:

It was very foamy, and almost tasted like a sweet fruity meringue.  It still pipes nicely, here's an example:

I'm  not sure whats up with the sparkle; the final frosting DID have a "fairy tale shine" to it, and I thought perhaps it might have a granular taste, but it didn't; it was very smooth.

I  let this frosting sample set out at room temperature for several hours to see if it would deflate (it didn't), but it did form a VERY THIN crispy crust (keep in mind I'm in a dry climate). I also put a similar frosting sample (uncovered) in the fridge and after a few hours, there was NO appreciable difference between it and the sample I kept at room temperature.

It's hard to explain the mouth feel of this sugar free frosting, maybe a photo will help:

I cut the frosting sample in half... it tasted sort of like a cross between a sweet meringue and a wet marshmallow whip... does that make sense?

My conclusion: We liked the original recipe better, however, if your dietary concerns require a sugar free frosting, this is worth a try!!


70 comments:

Peggy Clyde. said...

Wow! I am glad to see this recipe. I can see great possibilities for something like this. Thanks again.

Anncoo said...

Thanks for sharing Coleen. I am thinking to make some frosting for cupcakes and your recipe looks good :)

Atty said...

What a wonderful idea. This is a must try recipe. My grandkids will love it, I'm sure. Now to try and decide on a flavor. ;-)
TFS
Donna

noemptychairs said...

That looks really fun! The kids will love it. I buy jello (an off-brand, actually) online in packs with a bunch of different flavors. There are some different ones it would be fun to try this with: peach, sour apple, blueberry. Thanks for sharing! Kelly

Diane said...

I can't wait to try this. It looks so yummy. I think lots of adults will love this, too.

teresa said...

i can't wait to try this, a family pleaser for sure!

the domestic mama said...

Oooo, this will be fun with all those flavors out there!

Ingrid said...

VERY cool! Pina colada sounds yummy!
~ingrid

aveena said...

How creative! I make "rainbow jello" which has become the one recipe that attracts visitors to my blog, so this recipe is a neat twist on how to use jello! I love using jello around color-themed holidays (St. Patty's, Christmas, Easter) because you can choose any color you want! Thanks for the great recipe and post!

Monica H said...

Very clever idea. It looks so fluffy and creamy and your piping is wonderful. I don't want to make a whole batch, I just want to steal a cupcake of yours!

Anonymous said...

Yum!!! Snowed in and looking to make something sweet with ingredients that I had in the pantry. Turned out great!!! Thank you:)

Anonymous said...

this looks nice & fluffy -- im going to try w. an angel food cake!! thanks =0)

Lala said...

I made this yesterday. You're right it becomes sticky after sitting at room temperature for a few hours. I think this is best eaten soon after you frost the cupcakes.

Anonymous said...

Made the kid friendly jello frosting today with Strawberry. It tasted amazing!! We loved the flavor! The color was great too. But I could not get mine to thicken up like your's did to pipe it. I beat it for 10 mins and it was still soupy. I even tried some cornstarch but that didn't work either :( It's alright though I just served the cupcakes in dessert bowls and poured it over!! Thanks for the recipe!

Coleen said...

To Anonymous: Did you do it in a plastic bowl? It could be that grease on plastic bowls or utensils was the problem. Next time, try a glass or metal bowl.

Anonymous said...

i love the idea but it did not work for me and i even did it in a metal bowl....

Neelu said...

Hi Coleen, oh I love you! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I have a hand mixer (Hamilton Beach, bought a while back for $15) and was nervous about trying the recipe since you had said to use stand mixer. But even with my little hand mixer, I got great frosting - fluffy and stiff! I used a little less than 1/2 cup boiling water (because my bowl turned out to be small) and I whipped the mixture for an additional 2 mins. The only thing that could improve was that the granulated sugar hadn't dissolved completely and I could taste it in the frosting. Any tips on what might have been the cause? Please do reply and advise. Thanks! - Neelu

Coleen said...

To Neelu: I've never had the problem of being able to taste sugar granules. I am guessing that a larger bowl and a full half cup of BOILING water is the trick. Good luck, Coleen

Neelu said...

Hi Coleen, thanks for taking the time to respond. A followup question - I had added the boiling water a little at a time. Do you think that might have caused the sugar to not dissolve properly? Should I put all the water at the beginning? Thanks again, Neelu

Coleen said...

Yes, put all of the boiling water in at once.

Anonymous said...

I made this frosting with a hand mixer and also halved the recipe, I don't like too much frosting on my cupcakes, it turned out beautifully and tasted great! (I made strawberry)

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

I just made and posted about this today, what a fun project! Thanks for sharing:@)

Kathleen said...

I came over from Lynn's.
Will the icing hold up for a few hours?

Coleen said...

To Kathleen: The icing will hold up for a couple days easily, although it will form a "skin" on it. If you don't want the "skin" which can be sticky to cut through, just cover the cake and no "skin" will form.

clb1484 said...

I had an issue with the frosting not forming peeks had to add 4 teaspoons corn starch to thicken it up. I was using a Kitchen Aid 4 1/2 quart metal bowl. Any ideas on how to do this without the corn starch?

Coleen said...

To clb1484: I have never had this recipe fail on me.

Anonymous said...

Isn't the uncooked egg whites harmful? I would love to try this but I'm not sure I would want my kids to eat uncooked egg whites. :S

Coleens Recipes said...

To anonymous: Read the recipe again, you add BOILING water to the egg whites, that means they are no longer raw.

c.w.frosting said...

Saw this on Pinterest. Looks so yummy! Maybe this will be an excuse to buy a free standing mixer =)

-caroline @ c.w.frosting

Anonymous said...

Tried this recipe a few months ago - worked brilliantly! Was almost distraught when I discovered hubby had deleted the recipe from my desktop: v. happy to find it again; thanks Colleen :D HappyKiwiNZ

Anonymous said...

I made this amazing frosting yesterday and about 4 hours later, it started to break down and become frothy...no creaminess to it :( Didn't whip it long enough, maybe?...or too long?

Coleens Recipes said...

To Anonymous: I have NEVER had a problem with this frosting, I'm not sure what went wrong for you.

Anonymous said...

Has anybody tried using this recipe for a cake filling? I want to try it with my birthday cakes but curious to know how it comes out (texture and taste wise) a day after. I usually frost/deorate cakes a day before pick-up or serving to guests.

Anonymous said...

Just show this on pinterest, my sons birthday party is next weekend and I'm going to make this frosting
For the cupcakes. I have a kitchen aid stand mixer, will that work?

Coleens Recipes said...

To Anonymous: Yes, I make this with my kitchen aid stand mixer.

Cheese with Noodles said...

This looks like so much FUN! I am planning to make cupcakes soon and was going to make vanilla or chocolate frosting, but I just might have to make Jell-o frosting instead. I'll bet it would be great with raspberry Jell-o!

mary said...

Have you ever tried making this frosting with unflavored jello and then adding a flavor extract???? I want to try this frosting but do not want a fruit flavor.

Thank you so much

Coleens Recipes said...

To Mary: No I have not.

Anonymous said...

this was awesome wanted an icing without all that icing sugar. not to mention the ease of putting everything in my stand mixer and letting it make itself. Thanks so much for posting this.

Anonymous said...

Just wondered if anyone tried a sugar free variation of this and how it turned out?

Ali said...

I'm so excited to try this! I am wondering if you have ever tried it with the jello pudding? (for a chocolate or vanilla icing). Thanks!

Coleens Recipes said...

To Ali: pudding would not work.

Kerith said...

Incredible! Love that it's a butter-free frosting and therefore a little more love-handle friendly:)

Leily said...

as I'm a beginner, by Jello, you mean the jelly "powder"? or the nearly hard cubes of jelly?

Coleens Recipes said...

To Leily: just regular Jello powder.

Rhonda said...

Would the cup for cup Splenda and sugar free jello work?

Anonymous said...

Great recipe, thanks so much!
just tried it and kids love it. Do you need to refrigerate the left over cupcakes and frosting?

Anonymous said...

HAS ANY CANADIANS MADE THIS RECIPE? IS IT A 57GM BOX OF JELLO or more because 57 gms converts to only 2.011 ounces?

Coleens Recipes said...

To Annonymous: you don't have to refrigerate this frosting, but you should cover it well so that it doesn't form a tough skin on the surface of the frosting.

Coleens Recipes said...

To Canadian anonymous: I suggest you use the full 3 ounces of jello. Do you have a scale?

Anonymous said...

Canadian measured out 3 ounces, made it - it turned out great - seems very sweet though?

Jo Peterson said...

I am very worried about the raw egg white, especially for kids!

Coleens Recipes said...

Jo Peterson: After you add BOILING water, as per instructions, the egg white is no longer raw.

Coleens Recipes said...

To Anonymous: The frosting is too sweet? I'm not sure what you expected. After all it IS a KIDS frosting made with JELLO!!! lol

momyshaver said...

I have a bosch stand mixer which uses a plastic bowl. Would you suggest using a metal bowl and a hand mixer or trying the stand mixer with the plastic bowl it uses?

Coleens Recipes said...

momyshaver: I have not tried this with a plastic bowl.

Anonymous said...

Would sugar free jello work? The box says it's only .44 oz. would you have add more boxes??

Coleens Recipes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

will it work with regular mixing tools i don't have a whip tool for my mixer.

Alice said...

I know this recipe as "Butterfly Icing" ('cause it's light!) It does work with a regular mixer, but it just takes a bit longer. If people are having issues with it setting they can try adding a bit of Cream of Tartar (1/2 tsp.). I do find that even in my DRY weather it is best used the same day. It is the only icing I use on ANGEL FOOD CAKE, because it is so light! Thanks for sharing, I found this on Pinterest!

rachel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

You are right about this frosting not doing well with humidity. I had to add extra sugar and beat it forever and it still flopped after a few minutes. I'm glad I let it sit before frosting the cakes just in case. You just can't have frosting in an Aussie summer. I'm going to add more sugar, whip it again and bake on low heat to see if I get meringue. I'll try again in Winter- the traditional baking season around here.

mollyeleen said...

I just made this frosting and it is AMAZING!!! Forget the cake, just eat this!

Anonymous said...

I just made this, it turned out wonderful! but I had one problem, when the frosting was done it had little specks of jello powder, any idea how I can fix this?

Anonymous said...

What about using powdered sugar with sugarfree jello? What about also adding some heavy whipping cream?

Anonymous said...

No one ever said if they tried to use this as a filling for cupcakes or angelfood cake. Im hoping this may negate the sticky skin its said to get on it. I am dying to know if this is even feasable. Anyone?

Anonymous said...

I made this frosting for the first time a few days ago. It was so easy and WONDERFUL! My hubby loved it. It did take longer than 5 minutes to whip, but turned out beautifully. Will be my go to recipe. Thanks

Lori Cruz said...

After nine consecutive days of coping frosting recipes from the internet, this… your frosting was by far the best!!!

I DO NOT like buttercream frosting/icing!!! I love cream cheese frosting but I can NOT use it because my cupcakes will be out of the refrigerator at room temperature of 75 degrees.

I tried wedding frosting/icing… WAY TOO SWEET!!!

Thank you very much for sharing

Aloha
Lori

Melissa said...

I found this recipe on Pinterestmonths ago and hadn't found an excuse to try it.... Until now. I'm doubling the recipe and I live in Texas, and it's July. Today also is pretty humid. It's taking longer to make peaks, but that is totally fine because it tastes DIVINE! We're doing watermelon today, and my daughters' scout troop will love these cupcakes tonight! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Colleen, have you ever made this using meringue powder as a substitute for the real egg white? If not do you think it would work the same?