Friday, April 9, 2010

Breakfast Brûlée For This Weekend

Pre-Recipe Editorial: I have noticed that many Food Network cooking shows revel in the French language. For example, Alton Brown continually calls the common green bean by its French name haricot vert. Come on now, does that make them taste better? I don’t think so. Recipe titles like Crème Brûlée literally translates to burnt cream; that sounds more like a kitchen accident to me. I guess I have issues, ha! ha!

The reason I bring this up today, is that I found today’s recipe in the latest issue of Pillsbury Bake-Off magazine. It is called Breakfast Brûlée (yes, you guessed it = burnt breakfast)…go figure. This little recipe deserves a much better title; it is a quick and delicious weekend breakfast treat.

2 eggs
¼ cup whipping cream
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
(2) 6 ounce 99% fat free vanilla yogurt
(1) 16 oz. tube Pillsbury Grand biscuits (Flaky style)

Heat oven to 375F and spray eight 6 ounce ramekins or custard cups with cooking spray; place them on a cookie sheet that has edges.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, nutmeg and yogurt until smooth; set aside.

Separate each refrigerator biscuit (horizontally) into two even layers with your fingers (making 16 rounds). Brush both sides of each round with melted butter and roll them in white sugar (on all sides). Place one dough round in the bottom of each ramekin. Top with ¼ cup of the egg-yogurt mixture. Top with remaining dough rounds.
Bake at 375F for 20 to 26 minutes or until tops are deep golden color (my oven took 20 minutes). Cool 15 minutes before serving.

These are 350 calories, which isn't too bad for such a treat.

NOTE: When I ran spell check, it highlighted all of the French words as errors... hahaha, my case is closed.

20 comments:

heartnsoulcooking said...

What a YUMMY!!! treat for breakfast. This a must try anytime of day.
Geri

Ingrid said...

:) So you're saying you don't like the fancy French names? Me either....I like being able to pronounce the names of my food instead of sounding like a big dummy.

Thanks for passing along the recipe. I'll be trying it asap!

Happy Friday!
~ingrid

Peggy Clyde. said...

Those look so elegant and delicious. Thanks for another great recipe.

Anncoo said...

I also like this on my breakfast table. Looks so yummy.

Lazaro Cooks! said...

The French stole this dessert from the British. I was first made in Cambridge University and was called Cambridge Burnt Cream. I totally agree with you how some people try to be food snobs and dazzle others with obscure culinary terms. Simple is always best. Cheers!

dinnersanddreams said...

It looks fabulous and the ingredients are amazing. Great breakfast/snack.

Nisrine

Ana Powell said...

Awesome breakfast treat.
Have a great weekend x

From the Kitchen said...

This looks delicious! Since I only have around 200 cookbooks, I'm always on the lookout for "good cooking" blogs. Thanks! I shall return.

Best,
Bonnie

Julie said...

Mmm...no matter what you call it, I'll take one!

Chef Aimee said...

I love this breakfast brulee! What a great way to start the weekend! I could eat more than one with a big pot of coffee!

teresa said...

if this isn't a reason to get out of bed, nothing is! delicious!

Kathleen said...

Yum! I'm with on the french titles! This sounds really good! Hey I've got a question for you can you email me?

leenielovescookin@gmail.com

Laura said...

editorial? hunh can't handle that from you!! No I love to hear what people have to think! Well burnt cream sounds yucky and so does burnt breakfast.

Those little babies are gorgeous though!

So.....wanna make something for the foodbloggers bakesale? My sister is doing it with me so you wouldn't have to come but a food donations are totally welcome!! :D

Trish said...

Oh my goodness....these do look good. You are an endless stream of good cooking and baking my dear friend. How in the world do you manage it?!

Mary said...

What an amazing breakfast treat! I'd have one of these any day. I hope you are having a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

Wandering Coyote said...

Well, whatever the name, this looks totally outstanding and I am bookmarking this recipe! Perfect for a nice brunch! Thanks Coleen!

Lynn said...

Mmm, this looks and sounds delicious! I'm drooling over here ;)

Monica H said...

Coleen, you're so funny. I'm sitting here laughing and my husband keep looking at me like I'm crazy. ha ha!

Speaking of burnt breakfasts, I have some pictures I can share with you :-)

All jokes aside, these look really good!

Katy ~ said...

Coleen, you make me laugh! We won't talk about the burnt breakfasts I've manged to conjure up. I hear you about the "fancy" names for common foods. C'mon, let's keep it real, eh? Thinking of real, I really like these. What a fancy-schamcy breakfast this would make!

Carol said...

They look so delicious! Let's just forget about the calories.