Friday, March 12, 2010

CHOCOLATE - BANANA BREAD

Yep, you read it correctly, chocolate banana bread, and it is really good!! The chocolate (cocoa and chocolate chips) lend the predominate flavor, but you can still taste the banana AND the fruit keeps the bread extremely moist.


1  1/4  cups of mashed bananas
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1  1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon  salt
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips (a must)
..
Beat all of the wet ingredients and sugar together until well combined and smooth. Beat in the dry ingredients just until combined then stir in the nuts and chocolate chips.
.
Bake the bread in a greased 8" x 4" loaf pan, in a pre-heated 350F oven for 60 to 70 minutes or until toothpick tests clean (see note below). Cool bread in pan, on rack, for 15 minutes, then remove from pan . Immediately, wrap hot bread with plastic wrap and cool, this will seal in all of the moisture......important step.



If you click on the (above) photo, you can see the melted chocolate chips...a slice of this bread, heated in the microwave for 10 seconds or so, will satisfy any serious choco-holic.


 NOTE: I'm not a big fan of baking all that batter in a single 8" x 4" loaf pan for over an hour. That always seems to produce a lot of hard crusty corners. I much prefer to make two smaller loaves which bake in about 45 minutes. Whatever pan size you use, try the toothpick test for doneness. When you remove the toothpick, you will see some melted chocolate chips on the toothpick, but no gooey batter.
.
NOTE: Yes, that is snow (higher than my kitchen window) in that last photo. Snow also accounts for the ultra-bright window-light in the first photo. We live at the base of a mountain pass and we get a lot of snow...but, hey, it's nearly mid-March, so this is even a lot of snow for us. Tonight it's zero again. I heard on the radio today that the Iditarod dog team racers are experiencing 35 below zero this week!!

26 comments:

Laura said...

I know! I turned on my chicken house light tonight it's so cold out!

I like the tip about wrapping in saran wrap asap. I think it's a great idea. I seal my muffins in a bag or tupperware or gallon glass jar too. They stay so moist!

So now I'm curious which pass are you at the base of? Hatchers? Up Edgerton Parks?? I'll email you don't answer here. We had to use a backhoe to plow us out! GAH! This is the real Alaska though :)

Sonya said...

Love the photos! I like the pitcher and your plants:) I've never tried Chocolate Banana bread before..Im thinking I just might need to now!

Gosh that is ALOT of snow!! stay warm and safe!

Anncoo said...

WOW! This is amazing! I can see the melted choc chips flowing out of the bread.

Lara said...

Wow, I grew up in Minnesota and have never seen that much snow at a time. I'm loving the chocolate/banana combination and know my family would love that winning combination!

Heidi said...

I've never tried chocolate banana bread. It sounds great! I'm glad the snow here has melted. I'm ready for nice weather!

Cristine said...

Mmmmm! Chocolate! :)

Jessie said...

Coleen~chocolate banana bread sounds great and as for the bbq sauce I could barely even taste the liquid smoke in mine. I used the full amount and it was just great!!!

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

Chocolate and Banana always the best combination!

Debbie said...

What is it about banana bread that is sooo good! I could eat it every single day. The chocolate really make it special and it looks delicious! You are having a really hard winter...zero again and all that snow!

Sheila said...

I'm not crazy about chocolate but that looks so good!!

Kaitlin said...

All of your recipes are looking fabulous as always Coleen! This one is no exception. I'm not wild about bananas, but if there's chocolate in there too then I would definitely go for it!

Ingrid said...

Love that first photo Coleen!
`ingrid

TINTIN said...

Yum..this look so good. Chocolate & banana, what a great combination...Thanks for the recipe!

Sweet and Savory said...

I've never heard of wrapping in plastic wrap, when it's still hot? I'm assuming that just keeps it extra moist?

Leslie said...

Come to Tampa anytime for a snow break!!!
Love your bread..banana and chocolate GO PERFECTLY TOGETHER

Rara said...

Chocolate could never go wrong. Pair it with cherry, strawberry, cheese, and now banana--lovely! I'm so gonna make one. Thanks for the idea, Coleen :)

Trish said...

Oh my goodness Coleen! I love the bread and I love the warmth I can feel in your kitchen...regardless of that HUGE amount of snow outside. Good Grief!

Monica H said...

mmm. this looks so chocolately and delicious. I like your photos on this post too.

Barbara Bakes said...

Looks yummy! Love the idea of combining bananas and chocolate in a quick bread! Hope spring arrives soon for you!

Peggy Clyde. said...

We just returned from a family vacation to Disneyland and was anxious to see what recipes you had posted while I was gone. This sounds delicious. Thanks again.

rebecca said...

i wanted to write to you and tell you how much your cooking blog means to me! i found you totally on accident, and it was the best accident i have ever had.
the recipes are so down to earth, and the photography is wonderful.
a big hug from this west virginian to you in alaska. thank you so much.
rebecca

Katy ~ said...

I like the idea of baking in 2 smaller pans; I think it would help with the baking where the outside gets all done an the inside is all mush still.

I can see this would be a nice moist bread. Sounds good! Thank you for sharing.

Love the pitcher in the background.

Chef Aimee said...

Ah, a marriage of two amazing flavors! What a great bread! :)

Brandy L said...

mmmmmm chocolate and banana are two of my favorite things to eat together! Thanks for sharing the recipe, i'll have to give this a try.

Homemade Quilts by Granny said...

Love chocolate will have to try this. Trish

Beastie said...

Found your blog yesterday. Great recipes! Already made this banana brewad, but without chocho chips but with fresh cherry added. Great, amazing! Linked your original recipe to my blog. Thanks