Thursday, March 4, 2010

BEST EVER (NO KNEAD) CINNAMON ROLLS

I thought I had the best cinnamon roll recipe, but oh my goodness..."Katy bar the door" --- drop everything and try this recipe. Here's why:
.
1. The dough is light and fluffy, not "bready"
2. There is no kneading, but it sure tastes like there is
3. The flavor is outstanding!!
4. They have the texture of a good donut
5. Covered, they stay fresh and delicious for 2-3 days
6. They freeze beautifully

Do I have your attention yet? Click on this photo so you can see the light and airy texture of the baked rolls.


2 cups buttermilk
1/2  cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar

1 packet dry active yeast (I use 1 tablespoon)
4  1/2 cup all purpose flour (DIVIDED)
1/2  teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

FILLING
3/4  brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
pinch of salt

1 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons butter (soft)

Mix the buttermilk, vegetable oil and sugar in a saucepan and warm this mixture to just before the boiling point… (see note) then remove from heat let it cool down then stir in dry yeast. Let this mixture sit for a few minutes to let the yeast bloom.

Add 4 (of the 4½ cups) of flour to the buttermilk mixture and stir well (no need to knead, just mix well). Dough at this stage will be extremely sticky and more like a thick batter. Cover dough with plastic wrap and let it sit in a warm place for an hour.

In a small, separate bowl, mix the final ½ cup of flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. After the sticky dough has rested/raised for an hour, stir it down and add this final half cup flour mixture. Mix until well incorporated (by hand or electric mixer)...just takes a minute.
 

Turn batter (which will still be quite soft and sticky) out onto WELL-floured counter and roll the dough around a few times, coating the surface with flour so it is not so sticky. Roll (or pat) dough out into a rectangle that is about ½” thick. Spread dough surface with 2 tablespoons butter then evenly spread on the filling ingredients and top with nuts (pat the nuts into the sugar a little). Roll up, jellyroll style, keeping it as tight as you can. Pinch the seam shut tightly. Cut 1½” slices and lay them, cut side down, in a greased 9x13 baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes. Bake in pre-heated 375F oven for about 20 minutes or until golden and they sound hollow when you tap on them. Drizzle with glaze while the rolls are still hot.

MAPLE GLAZE

1 + 1/3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon maple extract
2 OR 3 tablespoons milk




 NOTE: For the first step, I warm the buttermilk-vegetable oil mixture up in the microwave. I don't find it necessary to bring the buttermilk to "near boiling" like the instructions tell you to. I just microwave it until it feels good and warm (not hot) when I put my finger in it.

39 comments:

Pete said...

Nice, cinnamon rolls are yummy, can imagine the aroma hot out from the oven!

Sonya said...

Done deal..I trust you with all things dough:) I will make this either friday or saturday..they look AMAZING!!!!!

Heidi said...

I cannot wait to make these Coleen! They are nothing like the cinnamon roll recipe I've used. Do you think it would be good without the nuts? I don't have any and I would like to make them before I go grocery shopping.

Lara said...

I've never seen a cinnamon roll recipe like this. They look amazing!

Mommy Gourmet said...

You had me at cinnamon roll. They look amazing. I will be trying these!!

Kim said...

These look heavenly, Coleen! I love that they have maple icing!

Barbara Bakes said...

I love how easy this recipe! I'm bookmarking it!

Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

Love these! I'm printing to make them this weekend! Thanks for sharing!

Debbie said...

Coleen they do look delicious! I like this recipe since it does not seem difficult and even the yeast part does not seem scary for a yeast phobic like me1

betty r said...

Oh you have my attention..and I love baking anything with yeast so will be trying this for sure. Thank you Coleen!!

Teeny said...

These look fantastic! I can't wait for an excuse to try them.

Peggy Clyde. said...

Cinnamon rolls with maple are my favorite. Can't wait to try these after I get home from Disneyland. Thanks.

Susie said...

I am so trying them next time I get time!

Smitten Sugar said...

These look amazing! Cinnamon rolls are a favorite of mine!

betty r said...

Well Coleen I did make them this morning and are they ever lip smacking good..I need to find someone to share them with quickly..or else I will consume way too many:):) Thanks again..

Cristine said...

You definately have my attention. They look great!

the domestic mama said...

Oh my coleen, I am going to have a big bread week- pizza buns are on my list and now these, too! I love the pic! You captured the fluffiness for sure!

teresa said...

oh gosh, i want to make these THIS SECOND!

HoneyB said...

They look amazing Coleen!

Judy said...

We just finished the last of our sticky buns, so I'm ready for a new batch of sweet rolls. These look heavenly. Can I use sour milk, as I never buy buttermilk?
PS -- Check the SL recipe again, temp is 350F, time is 18-22 min.

Diana's Cocina said...

I love a good cinnamon roll. ;)

Megan said...

These look delicious. I made come rolls the other day and they were terrible. :( Threw half of them away. Thumbs up to the best!

Kaitlin said...

I'am always on a continuous search for a great EASY cinnamon roll recipe, so I cannot wait to try these! Thanks for posting the recipe!!!

jen said...

Oh my....these look soooo good.
Coleen, do you think these can be made in advance and place in fridge overnight before baking for morning guests?

Leslie said...

oh Coleen, these look TO DIE FOR!!!!

Ingrid said...

Holy Moly, I want! I want! And you know what? I can have...'cause I'm not scared of yeast! Yea, that's right!

Great photos, Coleen, especially that first one. Looks perfect!

Happy Friday!
~ingrid

Monica H said...

They look so incredibly light and tender. I would love one of those with a giant cup of coffee right now. well done.

Cinnamon-Girl said...

These look heavenly! Love the maple glaze.

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

No wonder you said this is the best cinnamon rolls, look so good and yummy!

Kathleen said...

Colleen, you are a true girlfriend to share this amazing recipe with us. These look like a lil bit of heaven on a plate!!!

Katy ~ said...

Dagnabit, I'm behind on commenting so I didn't see this until late Sat. night and I'm tied up on Sunday. Now I'll have to wait. I'm busy the next couple of weekends also with social obligations, so no time to try these. But, but...the weekend of my birthday...I think I shall be enjoy these.

BOOKMARKED!! Will be enjoying these beauties. Coleen, these look fabulous! Can't wait to try these.

Krista said...

These are gorgeous! The next time I make cinnamon rolls, I will use this recipe. No kneading...perfect and fluffy?! I love it!

Chef Aimee said...

Oh wow...I want to eat my computer screen! I love the maple glaze...I can imagine how amazing your kitchen smelled!

Laura said...

Wow where did you find this recipe? I wonder who came up with working with such a sticky dough? So cool!!

I might just make these for the SOS blogger bakesale, you don't mind do you?

Carrie said...

Sold! Best AND Easiest?! I can't even look at them without hearing "make me". Thanks for sharing such a great recipe Coleen!

Peggy Clyde. said...

Where do I find the recipe for that delicious dish at the top of your blog? I wish I could stick a fork into it right now. Thanks.

Tia said...

you are a great food writer. you've sold me!

Tia said...

I just made these and they are awesome. I'll be posting them soon with props to you of course :)

Betty said...

Hi Coleen..this is a wonderful recipe. I have used it frequently and it never fails. I linked to this recipe today on MGCC (Mennonite Girls Can Cook).
Maybe you have had more hits on your blog today. I hope so:)