Friday, February 19, 2010

TACO SEASONING

Make your own taco seasoning!! It is simple, quick, cheap and useful for almost anything. I use it on steak fajitas, tacos, Spanish rice, chicken and much more. It is so much more convenient (and tasty) than the commercial packets.

 In a bowl, mix together:
12 teaspoons chili powder
8 teaspoons paprika (not the spicy kind)
8 teaspoons ground cumin
6 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder (not salt)
¼ teaspoon cayenne powder
2 teaspoons oregano
1 tablespoon beef bullion granules

Mix well and store in a tightly covered jar. Can be used as a dry rub or if you are making taco's, brown the meat and drain well. Add 7 teaspoons of this mix and ½ cup water to a pound of ground beef. Stir well and simmer until liquid evaporates.


NOTE: This is not super spicy, but it is very full flavored. If you like more heat, you can always add more cayenne. Approximately 7 teaspoons of this mixture will season a pound of ground beef.
NOTE: If you don't want to make a whole jar of seasoning...just divide this recipe by 4.

17 comments:

Lara said...

What a great idea. I hate how expensive the taco seasoning packets are, but have never gotten brave enough to try my own. I see this being a well-used recipe in our house.

Cristine said...

I keep meaning to do this... thanks for the push!

Angela said...

Thanks for the recipe Coleen! I'll be making some taco seasoning for sure because we do love Mexican food! I think I already have most of the ingredients too!

Do you have a recipe for a Beef Stew mix? Those mixes cost a lot of money and some are even made in China! You got to be careful with that.

Hugs,
Angela

Peggy said...

love the combination! I definitely prefer making my own spice mixes rather than buying!

Krista said...

My sister and I were just talking about how to make our own taco seasoning over the phone. She ran out. I was trying to list the spices for her, but was unsure of the ratios. I'll fwd. this to her and keep the link for myself for the next time I run out. I get mine at ALDI...pretty cheap. This is still a good recipe to have!

Thanks for the timely post. : )

Julie said...

That's a great idea...I never know which seasoning to buy. Having my own would solve that problem.

Debbie said...

This is so good to have on hand. The prepackaged seasoning can really add up and are too spicy for my son. Thanks Coleen!

teresa said...

excellent post! i am making this next time!

Ingrid said...

Cool, it's nice to have a recipe for when I don't have a packet. From the sounds of it I need to not buy them and just make my own.
~ingrid

The Cooking Photographer said...

Tasty and has no MSG! This is awesome Coleen.

Peggy Clyde. said...

We eat a lot of tacos and this sounds great. Thanks.

the domestic mama said...

This and the crockpot refried beans have made my life!

HoneyB said...

I like making my own seasoning too - I just don't get to use it often enough cause ya know...Grumpy... ;)

Mary said...

This is great. So many of these spice mixes can be made at home with half the cost of their grocery store counterparts. Thanks for the recipe, Coleen.

Katy ~ said...

Coleen, this is TERRIFIC! Those packets are so doggone expensive. what a money saver this is.

Thank you so much for this.

Carrie said...

This is such a great recipe Coleen because I already have all these ingredients in my pantry right now!!

Lindsey said...

Thank you! I will be making my own taco seasoning this weekend!

http://enjoyinghealthyfoods.blogspot.com