Monday, March 1, 2010

ORANGE AND POPPY SEED POUND CAKE

This orange & poppy seed pound cake is a true, mid-winter, blast of sunshine. It is (yet) another recipe from the holiday issue of Sweet Cakes published by The Best of Fine Cooking magazine.
.
Dense, sweet and extremely moist, this
pound cake got rave reviews from Hubby & friends.

2 + 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon table salt
1/3 cup poppy seeds
2½ cups white sugar
4 teaspoons fresh, finely grated orange zest
1½ cups unsalted butter, soft
8 ounce cream cheese, soft
6 large eggs + 2 large egg yolks (room temp)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
.
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together (I just whisk it together) and set aside.
.
Put the sugar and orange zest in the food processor and pulse it for 20 seconds, set aside.
.
With a stand mixer (using paddle beater) beat the softened butter and cream cheese together until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the sugar and zest mixture and beat until light and fluffy (about a minute). Beat in the whole eggs, one at a time, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl after each egg. Beat in the 2 egg yolks and the vanilla.
.
With your mixer on low, beat in the flour mixture, stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl a couple times. Beat until smooth.
.
Spoon the batter into TWO greased and floured 9x5x3 loaf pans (or 8 mini loaf pans). Bake on center rack of a pre-heated 350F oven for 50 minutes (my oven took 55 minutes) or 25 to 30 minutes for mini-loafs.
.
Cool in pan (on a rack) for 20 minutes, then turn out. Glaze while still warm.
.
ORANGE GLAZE FOR POUND CAKE
2/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/3 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon orange liqueur (I used 1 tsp. vanilla)
.
Bring orange juice and sugar to a boil, over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture thickens and reduces to ½ cup (3 or 4 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in the liqueur (vanilla). Keep brushing the tops and sides of the warm pound cake until all of the glaze is used up.
.
NOTE: This pound cake has such a fresh clean taste and because it is just a little different, it would make a great gift for someone.

21 comments:

Sonya said...

YUM! this looks delicious..I havent had poppyseed cake or muffins in the longest time. I must change that!

Lara said...

I love citrus quick breads and with a couple of people avoiding chocolate in our house, this looks exactly like the kind of dessert we need around here.

Patti said...

this looks and sounds so yummy! Cant wait to make it! Thanks for sharing such wonderful recipes! I have a recipe blog also, so drop by sometiime! pattispantry.blogspot.com

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

This look really moist and good, I must try this one day. Thanks for sharing.

Mommy Gourmet said...

YUM! Oh that looks wonderful

Mary said...

I love poppy seeds so this recipe was like a magnet for me. This sounds and looks fabulous. It's bookmarked and will be tried for sure. Have a great day.

Diana's Cocina said...

This sounds delicious! I love poppyseed.

Peggy Clyde. said...

Looks like I need to buy some more poppy seeds so I can try this lovely cake. Thanks.

teresa said...

i love orange flavored treats, this looks mouthwatering!

Debbie said...

Love your new picture of the lovely salad!!! Your orange pound cake is certainly my kind of cake. Thanks Coleen!

betty r said...

What a gorgeous pound cake, Coleen!
And that 'salad header' makes me want a salad now!!

Laura said...

oh I love poppy seed cake. I did a report in 4th grade on a book about poppy seed cake and took a cake in for my project. It was a hit!

Thanks for linking those mushrooms they look divine. I love stuffed mushroom.

Megan said...

I always think lemon with poppy seed but orange sounds so fresh and crisp. Love the pound cake!

Cristine said...

You can't go wrong with a poppy seed cake. Looks fantastic!

Chef Aimee said...

I want to dive into this with a big glass of milk~I love how there is cream cheese in this, too!

Katy ~ said...

Bookmarked! Totally irresistible with the flavors I love!!

Missy said...

I don't know which sounds better the bread or the salad in your header. MMMM

papia said...

Hey there,

We have been reading the articles on your http://coleensrecipes.blogspot.com/
and are very impressed with the quality of your information.

We have a team of copywriters who specialize in writing articles on various topics and would like to write an original article for you to use on your website – this article will not be used anywhere else on the Internet.

In exchange all we ask is that we can have one or two links within the body of the article back to one of our sites.
If you are interested in having us write an article for your website please just let me know and we would be more than happy to have one written for you within two weeks.

Kind regards,
Papia

Ingrid said...

You and Monica are killin' me with all these great recipes from that magazine. I was trying not to buy it but now I think I must! I'm worried their are recipes in there that I would love but you won't post. :)
~ingrid

Monica H said...

It's the cream cheese in this that intrigues me. So good. I'mloving this magazine. I just made another one of their recipes too!

Valerie said...

It looks really delicious and then you describe it with words like "moist" and "sweet" and I'm hooked!