Monday, February 15, 2010

DOUGHNUT MUFFINS

Last week, I was watching the cooking channel, and someone was raving about a bakery that sold donut muffins (a new one for me). A few days later, I bought a baking magazine and sure enough, there was a recipe for...doughnut muffins!! I don't need to be hit over the head THREE times in order to get the message...I needed to make doughnut muffins!! I'm very glad I did, they are delicious.

Light and tender, buttery and sweet, these muffins are more like a delicious cake doughnut than a heavy dense muffin. Another delightful thing about this recipe is that it makes four dozen muffins, AND you can keep this uncooked batter in the fridge for up to three days, which gives you plenty of time to bake them all off!!

1½ cups unsalted butter, room temperature
1¾ cups white sugar
4 large eggs
6 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon +2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1¾ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 + 2/3 cups milk
¼ cup buttermilk

Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl (stand mixer works best because it's a lot of batter). Beat in eggs, one at a time until well mixed.
.
Sift the dry ingredients together and set aside. Mix the milk and buttermilk together and set aside.
.
Mix the dry ingredients, into the butter-sugar mixture, alternatively with the milk mixture (add in thirds), mixing only until it is well mixed after each addition. Don't over mix.
.
Grease and flour standard size cupcake pans and fill them 2/3 full. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until they feel firm to the touch.
.
Remove the baked doughnut muffins from the pan and dip them (on all sides) in melted butter, then roll them in cinnamon sugar.

To make cinnamon sugar, just mix 2 cups of white granulated sugar with a tablespoon of ground cinnamon. If you are a BIG cinnamon fan, use two tablespoons. These muffins are extremely light and tender and taste like a very good cake doughnut.

24 comments:

Peggy Clyde. said...

We love muffins and doughnuts. Now we can have them both at once. Thanks again for another great recipe.

Lynda said...

I LOVE this idea! I've bookmarked this recipe to try soon as we love donuts, but I hate making them. Thanks!

Lara said...

My daughter has been begging me to make a similar recipe from a cookbook, but with your seal of approval this recipe looks like the one to try! Yum!

Debbie said...

I think I've seen these somewhere else and I can't remember where. They look absolutely delicious. Think my son and husband would devour these if I made them. This one is a keeper!

Anncoo said...

Thanks for sharing this! Now I can save time doing the batter.

Pam said...

Love those muffins! Yum! I've never heard of them before; looks like a great thing to try!

Ingrid said...

While I haven't made this recipe I have baked up some donut nuffins. Insanely good...my mouth started watering as I saw your muffins! Thanks for reminding it's been a while. Your recipe is nice that it makes so many. I'm thinking I could freeze these bad boys right after baking and before the cinnamon sugar.
~ingrid

Linda said...

Yummmm! I think I gained 5 pounds dreaming of eating them!

teresa said...

mmmm, these look amazing! i could go for about five about now!

Leslie said...

OMG.I made these and I havent posted about them yet. they were soooo very delicious!

Cristine said...

Looks fantastic! I have a very similar recipe (might be the same) that I have been making for years. My husband actually renamed them Cinnamon Sugar Tasties. :) Thanks for reminding me of them!

Allison said...

Oh my!! These sound so good!! I'll make them Saturday night and we'll eat them for breakfast on Sunday before church :)

Thanks for sharing!!

Ally @ the frugal frontier.com

Krista said...

Oooh. How perfect! I definitely wanna try these. I bet the kiddos will love em'!

HoneyB said...

LOVE these. You are making me want to make them again!

Cinnamon-Girl♥ said...

I saw doughnut muffins somewhere yesterday and I knew immediately I had to make them. What could be better than a doughnut in muffin form? Two of my favorites. These look scrumptious!

Laura said...

holy smokes! those look so damn good Coleen. I'll be making these for the guys soon.

I'm emailing you tonight!

Monica H said...

I came so close to making doughnut muffins several months back but made something else instead. I've been craving them ever since and now I want these!

What magazine did you get them from?

Katy ~ said...

Coleen, my friend, these are just too too tempting. I must make these soon. Would love the idea of a donut without all the frying. Perfect!

the domestic mama said...

YUM! I must try this! Also, I wanted to let you know that I mentioned you in my interveiw with refrigerator soup.com here's the link:
http://www.refrigeratorsoup.com/twenty-questions-with-the-domestic-mama/

heartnsoulcooking said...

You're a SWEETHEART!!! and I have an award for you come by and visit so you can receive it.
Geri

Samantha Kate said...

I just saw this on TV last night. I'm defiantly going to make these soooooooon!

T @ The Happy Clipper said...

Can't wait to try these!

Erin said...

A co-worker of mine brought these to work adn they were super yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

Lady Behind The Curtain said...

These look Awesome! I may have to change one of the muffins I'm making for my church's Easter breakfast and serve this! Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to try them!