Thursday, February 4, 2010

Baked Eggs - A Sunday Morning Treat

This is such an easy method for making eggs, that you can not even call it a recipe. It would be great for any breakfast buffet...even for a crowd. It is delicious and requires only a couple ingredients. I hope you try it.

Put an un-greased cupcake or muffin pan into a pre-heated 400F oven (to let it get good and hot). When the pan is very hot, increase your oven temperature to 450F and remove the pan. Working quickly, spray the pan with a little vegetable spray and line each muffin cup with a slice of thin sliced deli ham (see note). Crack an egg into each ham lined cup and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Bake in the 450F oven for about 10 minutes or until the eggs are set.

Remove from oven and use a spoon to help you lift the eggs and ham out of the pan (they come out easy). I left my eggs in the oven for 10 minutes, then shut off the oven and let them sit in there for another two minutes; it gave me a soft set egg like this:

My kids used to call eggs cooked to this degree "dipping eggs" because they were just right for dipping toast. If you like your eggs cooked more, just leave them in the oven for another minute. The eggs pick up the flavor of the ham and they are delicious and kind of "cute", don't you think?
NOTE: If you have ham sliced at the deli, the slices should be big enough for this recipe. If you use pre-packaged sandwich ham, the slices might be a little small, so just use two of them to make sure the ham is taller than the muffin cup edge.

24 comments:

Sharmila said...

What an absolutely wonderful idea Coleen! I'll have to think of something in place of the ham ... but must try this out soon. :-)

Sonya said...

that looks so yummie!! Im going to try that myself!

Anncoo said...

WOW! This is beautiful and yummy. Must try this out soon for my hubby.

Sheila said...

Oh, I wish I had seen this earlier this morning. That looks wonderful. I'll for sure try this soon. We call eggs like that "sop eggs" because we sop up the goodness with our toast. Love your blog and will also be trying the chicken and rice bake soon.

potrron said...

I'm looking forward to breakfast. What an good way to bring a little variety to the table. Thanks.

Debbie said...

Oh those look perfect Coleen. You always post such neat recipes and ideas...thank you again!

Mommy Gourmet said...

Looks so good! Hey I have a little award for you over at my blog.

Peggy Clyde. said...

Thanks again for another great idea. The chicken and rice dish was very good. I made it last night.

Susie said...

My chickies love ham... and eggs. I'm not a huge breakfast person, so they will think this is the best (and I'll love it 'cuz it's easy!).

Heidi said...

What a good looking breakfast!

teresa said...

i've been wanting to try this for some time now, they look delicious, and so fun!

Carrie said...

I love the idea of this but my kids wouldn't ever eat the runny egg yoke. Do you think I could cook it for longer? Would it burn the egg white or the bacon?

HoneyB said...

This looks so cool -it makes me wish I liked eating eggs!

Coleen's Recipes said...

Carrie: If you like your eggs cooked longer, just turn the oven off after 10 minutes and let them sit another 3-4 minutes in the oven. Just check them and you can tell (by touching them) when they are cooked to your families liking (they will not burn). Coleen

lizmarie said...

I can't wait to try your delicious recipes on my family this week!!! Pray for my family we are going to try to get this job in Ketchikan!! I love it there. What part of Alaska do you live in? We live in Southerern Calif, yuck. ;^)

the domestic mama said...

Those are so cute~I love them!

Katy ~ said...

This is such a clever idea. Would be great with a little Hollandaise sauce. I'm definitely making these! You have one of our favorite breakfasts pictured. YUM YUM YUM!!

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

I have always wanted to bake eggs in a ham cup like this - yours look perfect!

Absoblogginlutely! said...

Never seen this done before and it was just about time for Sunday Brunch so I had to make these. I left mine in for 10 mins+2 and the insides were slightly solid - just a bit too solid for dipping. Edges of the bacon were "well done" but it all tasted delicious. I'm definitely making this again. Photo uploaded http://www.flickr.com/photos/absoblogginlutely/4337643105/

My name's Gretchen said...

What a great way to cook eggs! I have so many egg-lovers in my family I can't wait to try this for them!

Monica H said...

Hello deliciousness! I haven't made these in a long time. Thanks for the reminder!

jen said...

Colleen, thank you for sharing this. I have already made it twice and my 4yr old gobbled up 2 of them for breakfast the other day. So elegant, yet easy. I've been looking for a way to serve eggs to a crowd and this definitely works!

Tami said...

Love these little cups! Great breakfast because they can be eaten plain or with added toast and potatoes on the side.

Domestic Goddess said...

Mmm, this one looks quite delish! I love poached eggs on toast, and this certainly reminds me of that. And served along with the added ham, mmm, that sounds good too!