Monday, January 11, 2010

GREEN CHILE PORK LOIN ROAST

We love this recipe, not only because it is easy and tasty, but because of it's excellent leftover possibilities. Green chile roast leftovers make great cold sandwiches or it can be torn apart and tucked (hot) into warm tortillas (with a little bit of the chile gravy & some pepperjack cheese) for a great leftover transformation (it is one of those recipes that tastes even better on day two).


4 pound boneless pork loin roast
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
7 ounce can of Ortega fire roasted green chiles
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon dry red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder (not salt)
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 Reynolds roasting bag + 1 tablespoon flour
Place the tablespoon of flour in the roasting bag and shake it around (per roasting bag instructions). Place the bag in a roasting pan (set aside).

Mix all of the dry ingredients and rub it all onto the surface of the pork roast. Brown the roast in the vegetable oil (both sides). Place the browned roast into the roasting bag and put half of the green chiles on top of the roast and the other half under the roast.

Seal the bag tightly and make a few small holes in the top of the bag to let steam escape. Bake in preheated 325F oven for 2 hours (see note). Thicken juices and serve over pork slices.

 
NOTE: I have not tried it, but I see no reason why you could not use a roasting pan that has a tight lid instead of the plastic roasting bag.
NOTE: Most recipes tell you took cook a boneless pork roast like this for 20 minutes per pound, however, we like our pork cooked longer than that. Thirty minutes per pound will give you very tender pork but still slice-able (not quite to pulled pork tenderness). If you don't care for pork done this way, figure 20 minutes per pound.

17 comments:

Lara said...

I'm loving all the flavors in here. Looks delicious.

Katy ~ said...

Gorgeous, delicious photos. And boy does this recipe sound like a fab combination of ingredients. Good flavors for this pork roast. Good leftover suggestions, too. Big YUM

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try this because your other pork recipe (the one with maple syrup) was just soooo good. I'm sure this one will be too.

Anncoo said...

WOW! Looks great and flavourful.

Mary said...

I love the flavors you've used in this recipe. I'm going to give it a try. You might want to take a second look at the post by "past". I suspect the icandy within it is not food.

teresa said...

mmmm, we love pork loin at our house. what a wonderful way to prepare it!

Kim said...

This looks packed with flavor and extremely delicious!! I don't know if there would be any leftovers at my house :D

Susie said...

YUM! I put it on my meal plan for this week. I think I'll give it a try in the crockpot.

Debbie said...

Coleen, the dish looks fantastic. The rice and corn on the side is perfect. Oh, I am going to make that banana bread. I LOVE banana bread and have never tried it with pineapple. Thanks so much for posting this. I'll let you know how it turns out. I always have bananas around here that are getting too ripe!!!!

Leslie said...

ohh la la..this looks like it has a bit of a nice little kick to it!!

Barbara Bakes said...

I love green chile pork enchiladas, but have never thought to serve a roast this way. Great idea!

Monica H said...

You know I've never roasted in a bag before! This recipe looks delicious and we love pork. I might have to try this with tenderloin.

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

A great way to dress up a pork roast. I am not familiar with roasting bags, but I'm sure a lidded vessel would work just fine.

Donna-FFW said...

What delicious flavorings Coleen. I love the green chicles placed on top this way. Ive never roasted in a bag before, I should try it.

Belladonna said...

Looks nummy. Last weekend at my brother's place in Idaho we had some of the BEST green chili elk stew I've ever tasted.

Found your blog looking for info on Alaska...I'm not much of a cook but some of the recipies you post here could convince me to learn.

janebondpi@hotmail.com said...

the seasonings were perfect for the roast. The extra browning before baking gave it a nice smokey flavor.

Juddallen60@gmail.com said...

This was fantastic. Super flavorful and moist. I forgot to brown it and it still came out great and extremely easy to make and clean up with the bag method. I cooked it just over 20 minutes a pound . Thanks Colleen!