Friday, January 8, 2010

THE BEST BANANA-PINEAPPLE BREAD I'VE EVER EATEN!!

I've tried, literally, dozens of banana bread recipes, over the years, and this one is, by far, the BEST I've ever eaten. It is quick and easy (one bowl); it is moist from the 2 cups of mashed bananas and some crushed pineapple, it is sweet from brown sugar and has just a hint of cinnamon and coconut extract. You have to try this one!!



 In a large bowl, whisk together:
3 large eggs
1¼ cup canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coconut extract (don't leave out)
2 cups of ripe mashed bananas
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple drained
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup white sugar

After it is well mixed, stir in:
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped pecans

Mix well with wooden spoon and pour into two greased 8" x 4" x 2" loaf pans. Bake at 350F for 60 minutes or until toothpick tests clean. Cool in pan for 20 minutes before removing to wire rack. Wrap hot banana bread in plastic wrap and let it cool.

 Hubby loves this bread toasted and slathered with butter!!

24 comments:

Mary said...

i believe its the best , it look so delicious!

Donna-FFW said...

I love the tropical flavors going on in here. I have everything but the canola oil, do you think I could sub veg oil or not?

girlichef said...

I'm likin' the little tropical twist...sound great :)

Cristine said...

Sounds and looks yummy!

Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

WOW! Very cool! I'll send you an e-mail shortly. And Thank you!
Love the pineapple in your bread!

tracieMoo said...

It does look delicious! This is so tempting..

Heidi said...

I've been looking for a great banana bread recipe. Thanks coleen :)

Peggy Clyde. said...

We love banana bread and usually make it often. We'll be trying this when the bananas are riper. Thanks.

The Cooking Photographer said...

I'm making this asap!

Katy said...

Congratulations to the winner!

And YUM on this banana bread. It does sound very very good indeed. Now I need to buy some bananas just to try this.

Love it! Nice tropical flavors during these dreary cold months.

teresa said...

mmmm, there is a good chance that we will make this tonight!

betty r said...

Looks delicious..great combo, pineapple and bananas.

Mary said...

Coleen, this looks absolutely fabulous. I love a touch of the tropics at this time of year.

Leslie said...

Looks mighty FINE

Judy said...

Coleen, I believe you when you say this is the best bread. It looks fabulous, and I want to try. It will go in my huge file of recipes to try. I wish I could bake and eat faster.

The Cooking Photographer said...

My bananas are getting ripe and I have threatened the whole family to stay away from them! HA!

I can't wait to make this.

Carrie said...

The best?!!! I love the pineapple twist! I can't wait to give this a try!

Ingrid said...

LOL, I, uh, guess I should try this especially as I always have bananas in the house.

Congrats to the winner!
~ingrid

Monica H said...

Well I missed your giveaway, but both this bread abd your crescent receipes look delicious. I just got off a blog that made cresent pockets and they look so good!

Congrats to the winner of your giveaway!

Kristen said...

I'm going to try this recipe out - love the banana/pineapple combination!

Anonymous said...

My only question is what is the purpose of wrapping the loaf after 20 minutes? I have made banana bread many times over the years and have never heard of doing this.

Coleens Recipes said...

To Anonymous: It seals in all of the moisture and you get a much moister loaf with no hard edges. I do the same thing with all of my cakes and it makes a world of difference.

Cindy said...

Coleen, I just took the breads out of the oven. I also made six muffins. This is a really good recipe. Very easy to prepare too. Thank you so much for sharing it. My husband and I just had one of the muffins and they are wonderful. Very very tasty.

Anonymous said...

Just made this and it's delish! I'm trying to cut back on sugar and reduced the white sugar to 1/2 cup. It's so moist and yummy and is definitely a keeper!