Tuesday, November 24, 2009

WHIPPING CREAM BISCUITS

I am fairly successful when it comes to baking with yeast, however, biscuits have been one of my big failures for many years. Every so often, I try various biscuit recipes in hopes of finding a good one. After each attempt, Hubby tells me "I like whomp biscuits" better (it is humiliating!!)

Are you familiar with "whomp biscuits"? They go "whomp" when you hit them on the edge of the counter to pop the tube open. Personally, they aren't my favorite, but Hubby likes them (Pillsbury Grands).

Last week, I made Paula Deen's cream biscuits for breakfast. Because the recipe has only THREE ingredients (self rising flour, sugar and whipping cream), I didn't have very high expectations, but they turned out GREAT!! The biscuits were light, moist, tasty and oh so quick. I used them to make some ham and egg sandwiches and Hubby actually liked them!!


2 cups self rising flour (see note)
1 tablespoon sugar
1½ cups heavy whipping cream


Mix all 3 ingredients together until dough forms a ball. Turn out onto lightly floured counter and knead 5 to 7 times. Pat dough out to ½ inch thickness and cut biscuits with a 3 inch cutter. Place on greased baking sheet (with 1" between biscuits) and bake at 500F for 10 minutes

NOTE: I never have self rising flour, so for EACH CUP of self rising flour, I substitute 1 cup of all purpose flour + 1¼ teaspoon baking powder + 1/8 teaspoon salt.

NOTE: I brushed my biscuits with butter when them came out of the oven.

19 comments:

Vashti said...

they look yummy. nice and puffy!!

HoneyB said...

They look yummy Coleen! I'm not great at biscuits either. My mom always made the yummiest tallest biscuits and I have never been able to make them like her. So, like you, I have resorted to whomp biscuits many times because of it!

Mary said...

Very nice and puffy!

Denise said...

It doesn't get better than 3 ingredients, may have to make a batch for Xmas morning...

Donna-FFW said...

Awesome only 3 ingredients, and they look like they are light, fluffy, and rose beautifully.

If I ever get to Alaska, I want a tutorial in bread /yeast making. And kneading.

the domestic mama said...

ooo- these look good~ I too was biscuit challenged! It took me YEARS to get my grandmothers right. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Annie Jones said...

I'll have to try these!

BTW, we call the ones in the tube "whack" biscuits...because you whack them on the counter to open them. :)

Ingrid said...

LOL! There's been many a "whomping" biscuit (& rolls) that have come out of my oven. It's bascically the only kind my kiddos know! :)

I find it hard to believe that you hadn't any success with biscuit making. Is it just that you hadn't liked the taste compared to the "whomp" ones? These look great!
~ingrid

Lynda said...

I love these tall, flaky looking biscuits! Only 3 ingredients sounds great!
We've had the "whomp" biscuits many times; my hubby also likes the Grands, but I finally tried using real buttermilk in my biscuits and that made the difference for me.
Have a happy Thanksgiving, Coleen.

Joy said...

I LOVE BISCUITS ooooh maaaaan I need to pull myself away from this...because I will seriously make these and eat every single one.

Anncoo said...

Look puffy and yummy, I really love this.

Kim said...

They look like they turned out great!! It also sounds like one quick and easy recipe.

Nat said...

Oh Coleen, I can't believe you would be unsuccessful at baking anything...you have the magic touch...! But i guess I'll just have to take your word for it...: ) but thank you so much for this recipe...baking biscuits always sounds tricky and I am a pillsbury customer...well that is...until now... thank you for sharing...the brief ingredients list is very appealing as well..!

teresa said...

we're big biscuit people here, so these would go over very well in my family!

betty r said...

These biscuits are a 'must try'!

Mary said...

These are just beautiful. A perfect "go with" for a feast.

Katy ~ said...

Coleen, I'm biscuit making challenged as well, grins.

These biscuits sound good. Love the idea of using them for a breakfast sandwich. Now I am absolutely, positively starving for this!

The Daily Smash said...

I am going to make buiscuits for my sons bday party and have tried 3 recipes now and failed at them all. One had good flavor but didnt rise the others rose but had no flavor. I am going to try these next and cross my fingers that I have a winner LOL.

Thanks for sharing
Ashley
www.thedailysmash101.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I made these biscuits last night and again this morning. They are DELICIOUS and VERY quick and easy too! Thank you for so many amazing recipes, Colleen!!