Thursday, November 19, 2009

CLASSIC PECAN TASSIE

Almost everyone has their own favorite version of a pecan tassie, the classic Christmas treat. However, for those who don't, this is a great one. Pecan tassies are a bite size pecan pie in a cream cheese pastry crust. I used to make them only at Christmas, but they have become one of Hubby's favorites, so I make them throughout the year. This recipe makes 4 dozen and freezes well.


PASTRY CRUST
1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
6 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
2 cups all purpose flour

Cream the butter and cream cheese (with electric mixer) until it is light and fluffy. Add the flour and beat until the dough comes cleanly away from the inside walls of your mixing bowl. Flatten dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and chill for one hour (I NEVER chill this dough, it is a dream to work with).

FILLING
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Beat the eggs until very well mixed and lemon colored. Stir in everything else.

ASSEMBLY
Roll pastry into 1 inch balls and place them into an ungreased mini-muffin pan. Using your fingers, press the balls of dough into the bottom of each cup and up the sides. (I use the floured end of my rolling pin to press the dough into place). Put a few chopped pecans in the bottom of each pastry shell and top with about a tablespoon of filling. (see note)


 Bake in pre-heated 375F oven for 15-20 minutes or until the pastry is golden and the filling is set, yet still a little soft in the center. Remove from oven and sit the pan on a wire rack for about 10 minutes before you try to lift them out. Lift tassies out of pan and cool on a wire rack.

NOTE: Keep in mind that the filling puffs as it bakes, so don't overfill the unbaked shells. If you overfill them, they will be hard to get out of the pans. For those stubborn tassies, use the tip of a knife to help you lift them out of the pan.

 

17 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

I dont have a go to for this cookie. These are a favorite of mine, but I usually dont make them. With this dough being a dream to work with, I plan on trying them also. I plan on trying quite a few of your recent cookies actually:)

Krista said...

We make this one too...almost the exact same recipe. My mom actually has a little plunger type wooden tool to press the crust into place. I wonder what it's called? It works perfectly!

These look delicious!

The Cooking Photographer said...

Tassies, I knew It! I've been watching for your Christmas cookie recipes. I love pecan tassies. They are hard to beat.

Monica H said...

I'm going to have to send my neighbor over here. She makes these every Christmas but hopefully from looking through your blog she'll get ideas for more :-)

Laura said...

So very sad when our heat wave is 20˚ blech! I love these bad boys and I keep reading about cream cheese and butter dough...hmmmm must try it now

Nat said...

Thanks Coleen, this is excellent, I don't have a favoritethus far... but I am positive this will be it.... : )

Denise said...

Adding this to my try ASAP list. I will be posting one of your cookies tomorrow, Coleen. Check it out. So many good recipes this week from you :)

Jessie said...

Oh Coleen, I love these. My mom always made them for christmas when I was young!! They just scream christmas to me!!!

charlotte mgcc said...

Coleen, you are just getting me into the Christmas baking mood and these are great. I have tasted them but never made them.
By the way those chocolate cookies with the reeses center......i could hardly keep my from wanting to dip my finger into the chocolate and just help by self.....smile.

teresa said...

i love these, they are so cute, i want to pop five in my mouth right now!

Velva said...

Those pecan tassies would be dangerous! They are bite-size! There will not be a single one left by the time I passed the plate often enough-Just awesome!

Ingrid said...

Heat wave....ha-ha!

Your tassies look delightful.
~ingrid

Heidi said...

I love these but have never made them!! Thanks Coleen for the recipe :)

Chocolaty Lifestyle said...

What a great looking dessert! It must be wonderful, this dough which is used is one of my favorite - so moist and yummy! :)

Peggy Clyde. said...

Those look so yummy. The dough sounds easy. I can't wait to try them. I got one of those little wooden plungers called a mini tart shaper from Pampered Chef. Now I know what to use it for. Thanks.

Mary said...

It's awfully hard to beat the classics! These look so good. I haven't had them in an age. Perhaps now is the time.

samanthalynn45 said...

Tassies are delicious! My dad makes a plastic utensil called the tassie press on the web (tassiepress.com). This utencil saves a ton of time and works great.