Thursday, October 29, 2009

TOFFEE CHIP CHEESECAKE BARS

I've been trying out potential sweets for my Christmas cookie boxes and I found a real winner last week. It's from a cookbook called "Brand Name Recipes". The bars have a cocoa based cookie bottom (I used the new Hershey's dark chocolate cocoa which is very tasty) and on top of that is a creamy cheesecake-toffee bit layer and it is all topped with more toffee bits. Need I say more?



 1¼ cups all purpose flour
1 cup powdered sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa (I used dark chocolate cocoa)
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¾ cup butter (cold)
(1) 8 ounce package cream cheese (room temperature)
(1) 14 ounce can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1½ cups English toffee bits (divided)

Combine the flour, powdered sugar, cocoa and baking soda in a medium bowl; cut in butter until it is crumbly (I did this step in my food processor). Press firmly on the bottom of an un-greased 9" x 13" baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes.

Beat the cream cheese until it is fluffy then add the sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk), eggs and vanilla and beat until it is smooth. Stir in one cup of the English toffee bits. Pour this mixture over the hot crust. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes or until set and the very edges just start to turn golden. Cool 10 minutes and then sprinkle on the remaining one half cup of toffee bits. Cool completely, then refrigerate until the bars are cold. Store leftovers (covered) in the fridge.

NOTE: These bars are to be kept in the fridge, but we think they taste best after they had been out of the fridge for 10-15 minutes.

NOTE: Make sure you use sweetened condensed milk, not evaporated milk

20 comments:

girlichef said...

Perfect for the holiday table!! I should make these and take them to our Christmas gathering...they'd be a hit! I love that Hershey's Dark Chocolate...so decadent :D

the domestic mama said...

Yum- now, one question, what do you do with all the yummy things ya make? Can I be your neighboor? Better yet, come move here! The house next door is open!

Donna-FFW said...

Think Ill try these out for the firemen today. My hubby loves those damned toffee bits.

Karine said...

Great job with your bars! They look delicious :)

Katy ~ said...

Oh such sweet decadence!

I have a brands name cookbook (it's one that I love so much that I have 2 copies of it, in case the first one gets worn out!)

Mary said...

These really look delicious. They would be perfect for the holidays.

Jessie said...

Those looks amazing!!I am a sucker for anything that has cheesecake in it!! I sent you and email about the fudge. Let me know if you didn't get it!!

Ingrid said...

Nope you don't need to say more and I'll just say YUM!
~ingrid

Peggy Clyde. said...

My oh my. I wish I had some now. Thanks.

Monica H said...

the toffee takes this over the top. perfect for the holidays!

Kristen said...

Oh my gosh Colleen, how tempting those are!

Barbara said...

I like these!!! Anything with condensed milk is right up my alley. I haven't tried the new Hershey's dark choc. cocoa. Guess I'm going to the store this afternoon.

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

Mmm, they do look tasty - I love those little toffee bits.

Krista said...

These look amazing! I love it all...the toffee...the chocolate...the cheesecake! Just perfect!

Carol said...

Toffee... cream cheese.........YUMMMM...you sure can't go wrong with this combo! They look wonderful, Coleen!

Wandering Coyote said...

Ooooooh! Gorgeous! Anything with sweetened condensed milk in it is going to be a hit in my family!

Valerie said...

Oh, man! Those look too amazing not to copy the recipe!!

Julie said...

Oh my...these look so good. Pictures like this are what keep me from going on a diet (gotta blame something!)

ardi said...

I really liked your recipe collection, very helpful in my work as a chef, if permitted, May I copy a recipe from your website?
please provide a link for me ..


thanks before .....

ardian(hoki chef)

Trish said...

Oh gosh...these are insanely delicious looking!