Wednesday, October 7, 2009

BUTTERHORNS (Light as Air!!)

This recipe is a true delight. Not only is it a NO KNEAD yeast dough, but they bake up light as air and freeze well (if there are any left). Everyone loves these sweet, buttery treats.
 
 
 
 
1 tablespoon yeast
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup warm milk
1 egg (room temperature)
2 cups all purpose flour
2 slightly rounded tablespoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt (do not leave out)
1/2 cup of COLD butter (no substitutions)

Mix 1 tablespoon of yeast + 1 teaspoon sugar + 1/4 cup of warm water in a cup and let it sit while you do the next step.

In your food processor, mix 2 cups of flour +  2 slightly heaping tablespoons of granulated sugar + 1/2 teaspoon table salt + 1/2 cup of COLD butter cubed. Pulse until the mixture looks like crumbs, like this:




In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of warm milk and one room temperature egg, set aside.

In your stand mixer, combine the  dry flour-butter mixture + the yeast  mixture + milk-egg mixture.  Mix until well combined. The dough will be very sticky, but that's what you want. It will look like this:
Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit in a warm spot for one hour.  After one hour, dump the dough onto a LIBERALLY floured counter (remember, its still very sticky at this stage).  Flour your hands +  flour the top of the dough. Pat it out to 1/2"  thick rectangle. If the dough sticks to your hands, just dust it with a little more flour.

Cut the dough into 3/4" strips and work with one strip at a time.  Pick up one of the strips and brush the extra flour off of it. Twist each strip a bunch of times and then place one end on the counter and wind the twisted strip (in a single layer) around and around (tuck a tiny piece of the "tail" under the pastry) Sorry I forgot to photograph this step.

Place rolls on a lightly greased baking sheet about 4" apart.  Cover loosely with slightly damp paper towel and let them raise for an hour, or until they have doubled in size.

Bake in a PRE-HEATED  375° oven  for 15-17 minutes, or until golden.



This recipe makes about 8 pastries (depending on how big you make them)



Frost the Butterhorns with a simple glaze made out of 2 cups of powdered sugar + 2 tablespoons melted butter + 1 teaspoon vanilla extract + ¼ teaspoon of almond extract + just enough milk to make the glaze the right consistency.
ENJOY !!!

32 comments:

Sonya said...

Omgosh I am so so soooo scared of yeast..Im so nervous about this but I will give it a shot..dont laugh when I fail and come back with alot of questions!

Mary said...

gees they came out real nice !

Katy ~ said...

Coleen, these are just so beautiful and boy wouldn't I just LUUUUV one of these on my breakfast plate. Absolutely divine. Can't beat no-knead (no pun intended, okay, well, maybe a little one, grins!) A delicious way to start a Yeast Challenge. Guess I had better get stirring!!

Katy ~ said...

PS. And aren't I just eyeballing that Jadeite dish of yours! Love your new header as well. Heavens, I just love your entire blog!

Oana said...

yummmmmmiiiii!

Judy said...

Coleen, these look beautiful and yummy. I used to do a lot of yeast baking, but no so much since my kids are gone. But you are inspiring me to get back in there.

Nat said...

Hi Coleen, I am one of the those yeast phobic people you talk about ! However... I want to come out of it so badly...so...will give this a try this week for sure ! ....

Leslie said...

Oh sooo yum!I love your diagram!!

Heidi said...

Wonderful Coleen! Do you think these would be good to freeze? My husband gets up at 3:30 and I'm NOT getting up and cooking at that time. He could defrost one himself and have a great treat.

April said...

These look so good! I may have to join in on this challenge!

Ingrid said...

Coleen, you (& Katy) totally rock! Thanks and guess what I have off tomorrow and will be giving these a try AND posting my results! I shall fear yeast no more. I can't wait to get better and serve my guys just out the oven homemade yummy cinnamon rolls & sticky buns! I will rule!! :)

First question: What kinda yeast do I need?
~ingrid

Jessie said...

Those looks so yummy!! Thanks for sharing!! All yeast breads take is a little practice and then they are quite simple to make!! thanks for sharing the recipe my husband would love these!!

girlichef said...

I hope I can rise to this challenge...cuz these are gorgeous. But if you remember, I am one of the scaredy cats!!! Yeast in and of itself confuses me...which kind do I use!!!??? Too many options, surely I'll pick the wrong kind....

Debbie said...

Coleen those look delicious! I also belong to the "fear of yeast" club. I have made one coffee cake using yeast and then haven't done it since. I will also give this one a try in about a week or so....I need to conquer this once and for all!

Kim said...

You did a great job giving helpful details and picture along the way! This sounds like a great recipe for a beginner.

After one failed attempt with yeast, years ago, I was very scared to try again. I tried again a couple of months ago and am in love with baking with yeast!! I'm looking forward to following this along. Baking with yeast is so rewarding!!

Susie said...

Count me as a scared-y cat of yeast! I have made a few breads and tried to get over my fears - but these look like a great way to practice, practice, practice! Thanks Colleen and Katy for giving us a great challenge.

Shelly W said...

Your tutorial is great, Coleen! I'll have to give these a try. I'm a sucker for sweet rolls! Love your new header, too! It's so pretty and fall-like...my fave :)

Coleen's Recipes said...

TO ALL WHO ARE TAKING THE CHALLENGE: I'm posting the answers to your question about baking with yeast on todays page, so check back for answers.

Barbara Bakes said...

I love making sweet rolls. I like that you can make these the night before and finish up in the morning. I really like your addition of jam in the middle and description of how you shaped the rolls!

Bunny said...

Katy and Coleen you ROCK!!! These look terrific! I have off Saturday so maybe I can mix these up tomorrow night after work. I can't wait to make these!!!

Ingrid said...

Coleen, don't use the beater, I use the dough hook for the stand mixer, right?!
~ingrid

Monica H said...

These look downright delicious. I'm not afraid of yeast, just that the end result won't be all that great and not worth the effort.

Laura said...

Oh pretty! I need to make these soon.

Coleen's Recipes said...

ANSWER FOR INGRID:The dough hook is for a more traditional yeast dough (like bread dough). This is not a traditional yeast dough, so use your regular beater (or paddle beater)or even a strong spoon.

Nat said...

Hi Coleen, this is just to let you know I gave the butter horns a try and I THINK they turned out great. Your instructions were fantastic... Thank you thank you thank you ! SO very much ! I will never fear baking with YEAST again. If you would like to see the outcome, please visit my page :

http://girlsaremadeofsugarandspice.blogspot.com/

Thank you !

Sweet and Savory said...

I just wrote a book here and when I hit, publish, I got a message saying sorry, they couldn't continue. I am too tired to do this again so I owe you.

Thanks for doing the yeast baking.

Sonya said...

I made the butterhorns and posted about it! I cant thank you enough for all of your help! Im so happy!!

Delene said...

Sorry for this question, but when you say to "Twist the strips a bunch of times"... Just before you lay it onto the pan. What do you mean by twist? It's just that I cannot tell where you twisted.

A Full-Timed Housefly said...

Have to try this one like what Nat did. I'm a total failure when come to baking and have no confidence using yeast too. These lovely butterhorns hopefully will help built up my confidence , thanks for sharing , Coleen.

Anonymous said...

can the butterhorns be made in a bread machine using the dough setting? rosella98908@gmail.com

The Daily Smash said...

So good I made these for a party I had over the weekend and everyone thought that I got them from costco :) Thanks so much for the great recipe. I will be posting mine on my food blog and linking it back to your amazing yummy blog. Thanks again

Ashley

www.thedailysmash101@blogspot.com

The Daily Smash said...
This comment has been removed by the author.