Thursday, October 22, 2009

GUILTLESS BANANA MILK SHAKE

This banana milk shake is my latest addiction, and for once, it is guiltless!! Toss some frozen bananas, fat free banana yogurt and some 2% milk in the food processor (or blender) and in 10 seconds you will have the thickest, creamiest milk shake ever!! It is absolutely delicous and totally satisfies that "whats to snack on?" moment in the middle of the day. I hope you try it.

In advance, slice some bananas into ½" slices and freeze them, in a single layer, on some waxed paper. When they are frozen, put them all in a Zip Loc freezer bag and keep frozen. When it comes time to make your milk shake, place 16 slices of frozen banana into the food processor (I don't have a blender). Sixteen slices equals the same amount as a medium size (8") banana.

Add a 6 ounce container of fat free banana yogurt and one cup of 2% milk. Run the food processor about 10 seconds. You will end up with about 2½ cups of thick milk shake. This next photo is not a very good one, but I wanted to show you that the final product is thick enough to support a spoon!!

NOTE: I keep a bag of frozen banana slices just so I can make this treat in a hurry. It is also a great use for those bananas that have a few too many brown spots on them.

16 comments:

Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

This is a great treat. One I will make for my kids and myself. It's so hard to find healthy snacks.

Katy ~ said...

I really don't make enough use of my blender, and considering I LOVE these kinds of drinks, I need to dust it off and get whirring! This sounds delightful. Love bananas. Would make a great drink. Think I'll toss in some wheat germ too.

Heidi said...

I do this all the time for me and my kids, but we don't use the yogurt. I use frozen bananas and usually frozen wild blueberries and pineapple with a little pineapple juice. We love it :)

Katherine Aucoin said...

Terrific idea! I love bananas and will definitely be trying this soon!

Barbara Bakes said...

Great idea to use frozen bananas! I don't think I'd be able to resist adding chocolate though!

charlotte mgcc said...

i do freeze my bananas but never sliced. brilliant!
now why didn't i think of that.....smile.
i am always looking for guiltless food......i think this fits the bill just nicely.....now a little chocolate sauce wouldn't hurt it, would it?...grin

Debbie said...

Great idea Coleen. I had to laugh when you mentioned 8" banana...made me think of Donna!!!

Mary said...

What a great idea. It looks and sounds delicious.

Ingrid said...

We love bananas and we love smoothies but I haven't ever made just a banana smoothie. I usually have frozen bananas in the fridge for just such an occasion. Thanks for sharing. This is a terrific recipe for my one twin that doesn't drink milk but needs to get his calcium.
~ingrid

justjoycee said...

What a great way to make a shake!!!My grands are gonna love this!

Peggy Clyde. said...

Here is a recipe from my neighbor who was a great cook. You might want to try a small batch first to see if you like it.
Thousand Island Dressing
1/2 c. sweet pickles, diced small
1/4 c. dill pickles, diced small
1/3 c. catsup
2 hard boiled eggs, grated
onion salt to taste
garlic salt to taste
1 quart salad dressing.
Chill 2 hours before using.

Lara said...

Sounds amazing and very kid friendly too!

Nat said...

I just bought some gorgeous banana's...will make this for breakfast ! I love it !

Monica H said...

I never thought to freeze bananas in slices like that. I've heard some people freeze them in their peel and others who peel them then freeze them in a bag. But when they they defrost they get icky. I might have to try it your way.

Carrie said...

Great idea! I love smoothie shakes in the morning and this would be perfect!

Shelly W said...

What a delicious, healthy way to use up extra bananas!