Thursday, October 22, 2009

DULCE de LECHE (Made in the crockpot!!)

Yes, you heard me right, dulce de leche made in the crockpot!! The first time I tried it, I was very skeptical, but it works like a charm and couldn't be easier.

Fill crockpot with COLD water. Put an UNOPENED can (with paper label removed) of sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk) into the cold water, making sure that the water is 2" taller than the can. If you are doing more than one can, make sure there is at least 2" of space BETWEEN each can as well. 

Put the lid on the crockpot and let it "cook" on LOW for EIGHT HOURS. Take the cans out of the crockpot and dry them off and label them. If you are going to use them right away, let them cool down a couple hours before you try to open the can. Cooled and unopened cans can be kept in the pantry like you would any other canned item.



DISCLAIMER: people that make Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk never anticipated people heating their product in an unopened can. As a matter of fact, I'm sure they would disapprove, so please, if you try this method, use (common sense) caution....but it has worked VERY WELL for me and for many other people I know. 



 Crockpot Dulce de Leche
Right after opening the can; it is unbelievably delicious!!
 
NOTE: One friend that had a white crockpot, said that the can left a permanent "ring" on the bottom of her crockpot; I didn't have that problem (my crockpot is black). If you are concerned, put a layer of paper towels under the can/cans before you add the cold water.

26 comments:

Barbara Bakes said...

Wow - I'm so impressed with how easy it is and how delicious the results look!

The Cooking Photographer said...

You made dulce de leche! Yay! That crock pot method is nice. I saw that too and am tempted!

Laura said...

ok I'm dragging out my crockpot RIGHT NOW! Seriously that is the most luscious looking goo ever, can goo be luscious? Yes I think so!

We need to go to lunch or get together and cook or if you know any other local bloggers we could have a meet up! YES?!?!

itsmepamela said...

I'm so glad you liked the Dulce de Leche recipe....Stephanie has lots of wonderful recipes on that crockpot site...And I
am looking forward to all your future posts, I'm so glad I found your site..
Pamela Hobbs

Wandering Coyote said...

No way! NO WAY!!!!!! That's amazing - I will have to try it!

Pete said...

Interesting....looks very creammy and nice!

Anncoo said...

What is Dulce de Leche? Looks delicious :)

Katy ~ said...

Well done! I've been afraid of cooking an unopened can that I've never tried this. Cooking in my crockpot for 8 hours. OK, I'm game. I've been intrigued with dulce de leche for a long time. Thanks for asking the question and thanks to Pam for the great response!

Sonya said...

Mine looked the same after boiling it for a few hours:)

Ingrid said...

VERY cool! It is probably even better than the canned stuff.
~ingrid

Nat said...

Oh Coleen, If only I had seen this post before I did my post last night, I made dulce de leche, but in a non stick sauce pan and it was soo difficult to get the consistency right...the first time I burnt it and had to start all over again from scratch, what a waste ! If I had know in it was possible this way, i would have save my self so much hassle. I could opt for submerging the can in a simmering heavy bottom pan of boiling water right ?.... Next time will do !

Debbie said...

What a great idea. This is just so easy. I'm a little nervous doing this but I'll trust you!

betty r said...

I've done this before, it works well and so easy to do.

teresa said...

no way! that's crazy and so awesome! must have now!

girlichef said...

Isn't this the best way to make it!! I LOOOOVE Dulce de Leche! Looks delish :)

Mary said...

This looks wonderful and it is certainly the easiest method I've ever seen for ducle ce leche. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Monica H said...

I've always made it by boiling it but this just seems so effortless. I'm going to have to try this method!

Lynda said...

How easy to get something so delicious! I'm dragging out my crockpot. Thanks for this post!

Marge said...

Looks wonderful and I know it taste great too! I've never actually made this, but have a friend that makes a pie of it in a graham cracker crust. So rich, but so good!

Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

Wow! Great idea! It looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

Barbara said...

Don't have a crock pot but found Smitten Kitchen's idea works best for me...cook it in a double boiler for 50 minutes.

Carrie said...

My mom has made Dulce De Leche using this method for years, it works great and is SOooo yummy!

HoneyB said...

Pretty awesome!

Shelly W said...

That's pretty darn easy! Much safer than some of the other variations you mentioned for sure.

oliemommy said...

Thanks for a wonderful recipe.
I made it yesterday and it was so easy. I had to cook mine for 10 hours (I was at work) and it was more solid. Still wonderful. We have used it on toast, and apple slices.
Hubby just praised it and wanted to Thank you also.
Thanks for sharing.

By the way I read your blog alot. You are my kind to cook.

Nancy said...

This was so good! I had never had dulce de leche before but I ended up taking a chance and making two. It was so good! My kids really adored it. We had some with sliced apples and some went into the kids' oatmeal. The only problem I had was that the cans left rust rings in the bottom of my crockpot. I will probably put a layer of parchment paper down first next time.