Wednesday, September 2, 2009


Hubby has a serious sweet tooth; he even likes SOME savory dishes on the sweet side, like this (quick and easy) sweet and sour sauce. It works equally as well with chicken, pork, country style ribs and shrimp.
1 pound of very lean ground beef
5 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup of milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Mix all ingredients and shape into walnut size balls. Bake for 20 minutes at 375, then drain on paper towels.

In large sauce pan, mix:
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon dry red chili flakes (I use only a pinch)
(1) 8 ounce can of pineapple chunks undrained

Bring everything to a boil and thicken with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup of water. Bring back to a boil, stirring constantly. When the sauce has thickened, turn the heat down to a very slow simmer and add the baked meatballs. Continue simmering for about 20 minutes. Serve over rice.

NOTE: We don't care for a lot of "heat" in our food, so I use a scant 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes.

NOTE: Bake the meatballs for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on how large you make them. I turn on the broiler for the last 2 or 3 minutes to give the meatballs some color.


HoneyB said...

Looks yummy! I love sweet/savory flavors but of course you probably already know that GRUMPY would be a pain in the butt. I'm surprised he lets his corn touch his mashed potatoes. ;-)

girlichef said...

mmmmm...these sound so good. Hubby doesn't like "sweet" in his dinner...but that just means more for me! YUm :D

Heidi said...

I love meatballs. This sounds wonderful Coleen :) I've never had them in a sweet and sour sauce.

betty r said...

Mmm...sweet n sour meatballs are like comfort food to me!
Great recipe Coleen:)

Katy ~ said...

Coleen, I haven't made something like this in decades. I'm going to make this soon. We'd really enjoy this here. Beautiful pix! I am starving for this!

teresa said...

mmm, these sound just wonderful, i love the sweet and sour!

Wandering Coyote said...

I'd skip the red pepper flakes myself, but otherwise this looks really good!

Ingrid said...

I've made the cheaters version of this. I'm certain this one would go over better.

Thanks for sharing!

Krista said...

Yum! I've never had meatballs this way, but after reading this, I'd love to try. Yours look delicious!

Cheryl said...

I have not had that in soooo long, I must make it, thanks for the reminder!

Carrie said...

Your meatballs look perfect, with the rice and pineapple... I'll want them just like that! I love the sweet sauce on beef, my hubbie makes fun because I like brown sugar on my meatloaf! This recipe is right down my alley!

Domestic Goddess said...

Coleen, I love meatballs, and boy do these look good. I bet my husband will enjoy them, as he likes any dish that maybe a bit on the spicy side. But then I have to admit, I do as well. I can't wait to give this recipe a try. Coleen, thanx for the recipe!