Wednesday, September 16, 2009


A few days ago, Donna, over at My Tasty Treasures, posted a yummy looking recipe for Pineapple Pecan Cake. Today, I decided to cut her recipe in half and make cupcakes instead (half of the recipe makes 15 cupcakes).

With my "tweaks" I was aiming for sort of a pineapple upside down cake flavor, and it worked!! I love recipes like this, they go together with just a bowl and a spoon... and couldn't be easier.


Here is Donna's original recipe, and my tweaks are in blue:
2 cups all purpose flour (1 cup)
2 cups sugar (1/2 cup white + 1/2 cup brown sugar)
2 teaspoons baking soda (1 teaspoon)
2 eggs (1 egg)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon butter extract
20 ounce can crushed pineapple (8 oz. can)
1 cup chopped pecans - toasted (2/3 cup)

Stir everything in a large bowl, just until moist. Bake in a greased 9x13 pan (I used paper-lined cupcakes) and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes (I baked my cupcakes for 18 minutes).

NOTE: Do not drain the crushed pineapple.

8 ounces of cream cheese (softened)
1 stick of butter (softened)
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon (yes tablespoon) of vanilla
Mix until smooth

NOTE: These cupcakes are exceptionally moist even though they have no oil or butter in the batter. They actually taste a lot better at room temperature than they do when they are hot.


Mary said...

I like this flavourng for a cupcake!

Lara said...

I love the sound of that flavor combination and great job on making them beautiful. That's a skill I'm still trying to master!

Barbara Bakes said...

A pineapple upside down cupcake sounds amazing!

Andora said...

This sounds sooo good,and I will definately make these real soon..thank you so much for the work you do to put great recipes on for the rest of us to share..

Peggy Clyde. said...

I love pineapple upside down cake and these look and sound delicious. Thanks

Debbie said...

I saw this on Donna's site. Both the cake and the cupcakes look terrific! Great idea to put this in cupcake form!

Cheryl said...

Those look moist and yummy, I have them on my list of things to make!

Ingrid said...

Yum, those do look very moist and oh, so good!

Katy ~ said...

Coleen, I am STARVING for one of these cupcakes! OMGosh I desperately need this!

Christy said...

Oooo-wow-those look soooo yummy! I'm lovin' the pineapple!

Monica H said...

As soon as I saw this on Donna's blog I bookmarked even before I knew what it was. I am definitely going to make this....when I find some time!

Love your cupcake version too!

HoneyB said...

Wish I could reach right in and pull one of those out of your last photo. Got the munchies here...bad! lol

Judy said...

Coleen,I was looking at this recipe also with the intent of making a small batch as cupcakes. Works better for 2 people. So glad you beat me to it. Now I can just use your recipe.

Donna-FFW said...

Coleen.. so glad you liked these enough to try them. I love your adaptations, Ill have to try it this way too.