Monday, July 6, 2009

EASY VEGGIE RICE SIDE DISH

When I serve plain white rice, my husband slathers it with butter and white sugar (yuck). To avoid that, I've learned to jazz our rice up a little. This recipe is the result of years of tweaking, and we really enjoy it; I like it because it goes with almost anything, but especially good with baked chicken.

1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced carrot
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup of raw long grain rice (not instant)
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 and 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup of frozen veggies
sliced green onion tops for garnish
1 tablespoon butter

Saute the onion, celery and carrot in the canola oil until they start to lose their crispness; stir in rice and seasonings; stir to coat the rice with the oil and saute gently for a minute or two. Add the broth and frozen veggies and bring to a boil. When it starts to boil, turn heat down to a low simmer and put a tight fitting lid on the pan. Simmer for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, turn off the burner and let it sit for five minutes. Add one tablespoon of butter & fluff with a fork and serve.

NOTE: You noticed I use 2 1/2 cups of broth, that is more than you would normally use for plain rice. I use this extra amount of broth to give me a slightly saucy rice.

 

9 comments:

Annie Jones said...

We always had "sugar rice" for breakfast. I was well into my teens before I realized that people ate rice any other way. LOL!

Lara said...

I grew up eating rice with sugar and milk for breakfast. I was excited to discover more savory ways to eat rice when I was older. My daughter makes those no-bake cookies at least a couple times a month!

Katy ~ said...

Yummmm...rice!

For the life of me I can't make a decent no bake cookie. They always taste raw to me. I've given up trying but your recipe looks good.

Carrie said...

I need some ideas for dressing up rice, I can really use this! Now... as far as the no-bake cookies these are one of my personal favorites! I looooove them!

Debbie said...

Wow....great idea with the rice. I will have to try that. Your no bake cookies look wonderful and all the ingredients sound so good!

teresa said...

I had to laugh at the sugar rice, just because I could see my husband doing the same thing! They both look so good!

Ingrid said...

My Babygirl does not like plain white rice though she likes yellow rice just fine. She always has to have "sauce" with the white. Once time the sitter put yellow food coloring in hers....she ate it with no complaints, funny, huh!?

Hope you had a wonderful 4th!
~ingrid

Kerstin said...

I Love all the herbs in your rice - yum!

Monica H said...

Your husband is too funny! Tell him to add a little milk and vanilla, maybe some cinnamon for a rice pudding-ish version :-)

Your cookies look delish and who needs/wants to turn their oven on in this heat?