Sunday, June 7, 2009

MOCHA CUSTARDS

We really enjoy these simple little mocha custards. Made with every day ingredients and baked for 30 minutes, they are a sweet ending to a week day meal.

2 and 1/4 CUPS MILK
1/3 CUP SUGAR
3 TABLESPOONS UNSWEETENED COCOA POWDER
1 TABLESPOON INSTANT COFFEE CRYSTALS
3 EGGS, LIGHTLY BEATEN
1 and 1/2 TEASPOONS VANILLA

WHIPPED CREAM AND COFFEE BEANS FOR DECORATION (optional)

Preheat your oven to 325. In a medium, heavy bottomed saucepan, mix milk, sugar, cocoa and coffee crystals. Cook and stir just until sugar and coffee are dissolved (don't let it get too hot).
In a medium size bowl, beat the 3 eggs and gradually whisk in the hot mixture into the eggs. Add vanilla and pour into six 6-ounce custard cups. Place the filled custard cups in a 9x13 pan and place the pan on your oven rack. Pour boiling water into the 9x13 pan to a depth of about one inch (being careful not to get any water into the custards).
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean (my oven takes 35 minutes). Carefully remove baked custards and let them sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes. Lay plastic wrap right on the surface of the hot custard and put them in the fridge for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours. Decorate with whipped cream and coffee beans.

16 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh my gosh, so delicious, yet so easy the way you tell it - I'm trying this one :o)

Katy ~ said...

Coleen, this is a keeper recipe for sure. Perfect! (copy and saving!!)

Heatherfeather said...

These look so delicious! And so easy! Another recipe I will have to try.

Barbara Bakes said...

I don't think I've every had a baked custard like this before. Looks delicious with all the yummy cream on top!

Heidi said...

Those look simple and I have everything for them! A winner :)

Linda said...

My husband loves custard and I never make it. This looks so easy that I have copied the recipe and I am going to surprise him!

girlichef said...

These do sound great! I almost always go for mocha flavored things...these are no exception. Yum.

Carrie said...

I love chocolate custard! My mother would make it as a treat growing up!

Kerstin said...

What cute little treats - they look great!

Denise said...

These sound so easy, easy enogh for me to try..

teresa said...

Mmm, what a yummy flavor for a custard! This looks wonderful!

Donna-FFW said...

I love the flavor of this custard and it sounds simple to make!

Kim said...

I just came over and saw you new design. I like it!! Never had anything like this before- looks great.

Monica H said...

I love anything mocha, I bet these are wonderful and creamy!

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

My Coleen.......those look scrumptious and I'm sooooo gonna make these this week!!
Have a beatiful day and........

Steady On
Reggie Girl

Ingrid said...

These look great and so easy! It drives me crazy seeing all these lovely chocolate desserts when none of us are really chocolate lovers. Definitely makes me wish we were!
~ingrid