Saturday, May 2, 2009

SHORTBREAD COOKIES

A delicious shortbread cookie that has only six very common ingredients and makes a ton of cookies, what more can you ask for? This recipe has the classic shortbread taste (sort of like a Lorna Doone cookie but so much better) and it is So simple, you just mix and pat it into a pan and bake. 5 cups all purpose flour 1 cup sugar ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups COLD butter (no substitutes) 1 teaspoon vanilla Mix flour, sugar in large mixing bowl. Cut the butter into the dry mixture along with vanilla until it turns into fine crumbs. Pat crumbs into an UNgreased 10” x 15” baking pan. Prick all over with fork tines and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Cool in pan for 15 minutes then cut into small squares. Cool to room temperature. NOTE: I found it way too tiring on the arms to cut the butter into the flour by hand. Instead, I grated it on a cheese grater and mixed it into the flour best I could. Then I transferred the flour butter mixture to my stand mixer and used the whisk attachment on medium high for about 20 seconds…PERFECT crumbs. I am guessing a food processor would work well too. These are SO good. NOTE: I was not able to poke holes in my cookies right away (the crumbs seemed too dry). I put them in the oven for about 15 minutes and then took them out and poked holes all over the dough with a fork and it worked fine.