Monday, May 25, 2009

FUDGESICLES (and some questions for you)

With warm weather approaching and kids already out of school, it is time for kid friendly recipes. These fudgesicles are not only tasty, but they are inexpensive to make using every day ingredients from your pantry. If you do not have Popsicle molds, just use 3 ounce waxed paper (bathroom) cups and popsicle sticks.

In heavy bottom, medium size saucepan, mix:
3 cups milk
¼ cup cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ cup corn syrup (light)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Bring to gentle boil on medium high and boil 1 minute (make sure you stir constantly). Remove from heat and add 1 cup of milk chocolate chips, stir to melt.

Pour into Popsicle molds (or 3 ounce waxed paper cups). Freeze overnight.
NOTE: About an hour or so after you put the paper cups into the freezer, insert a Popsicle stick in the center, and return to freezer.


Katy said...

Your fudgesicles look like fun, and even though there are no children in this house, I think I need to make this for the "big kid!" LOL

Can't help you with your questions, though I buy my dried spices, etc. primarily from Penzey's mailorder. Great company, product, customer service. I can't say enough good things about them.

~Carole said...

I'm sure this recipe will come in handy this summer. My kids will love it and I like the fact that it's made from pantry ingredients. Another winner from you. :-)

Bunny said...

Homemade fudgesicles I love it Coleen!! The kids will go nuts for these!!

Heidi said...

My kids love fudgesicles! I have never had old bay seasoning so I can't help you. I don't even know what it is used for.

Wandering Coyote said...

The fudgesicles look amazing! I love a good fudgesicle!

As for your questions, can't really help you, unfortunately. I don't even know what Old Bay seasoning is. I don't like jalapenos. I know very little about bay leaves; if I need them (and I rarely use them) I tend to get them from the bulk bin. My mom was a huge user of bay leaves, but I can't say that I've noticed that then impart much flavour that I can detect. I've never used any of the new herb varieties, either.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

girlichef said...

Yummy fudgesicles!!

1. Old Bay- haven't used it in a number of years, but I used to like it in a burger, mealoaf...even though I know it's often used in seafood (I've always wanted to have a clam bake). Sort of like a Lawry's, but no salt (I don't think).
2. I think chipotle's do have about the same heat index as jalepenos, but they have a smokier flavor. Most of the canned in adobo brands I've found are comparable to each other. I like a brand called Embassy (or something like that...can't remember exactly, sorry) a little more than most.
3. I use bay leaves constantly. I try to buy fresh from the farmer's market, otherwise I buy them in bulk from the Mexican Market or Penzey's. The good thing about fresh is that they last a long time and if you don't use them all, you just store them as dried ones.
4. Not too keen on growing the varietal herbs, not cuz I wouldn't like to, just haven't (but I've always wondered, too).

A Feast for the Eyes said...

Yum! I love fudgesicles, and never thought of making my own. Great job!
Hmmm, some answers to your intriguing questions:
Old Bay Seasoning-- it's one of my fave go-to's. Crab or salmons cakes, of course, scream for this. I add it to my egg salad (oops, there's my secret), in soups. Next to Montreal Steak seasoning, I use it a long.

Chipotle/Jalapenos- I use these a LOT. I buy any brand of chipotle and freeze the unused. It's easy to chop and toss into a pan, frozen. I think it's hotter than blazes, but I'm a whimp!
Jalapenos- I grow my own and clean out the membrane and seeds. Love 'em!

Bay leaves - I keep forgetting to use them, silly me, except in soup.

Varietal herbs- I have too many, but love my lemon thyme and garlic chives.

Monica H said...

Yay for fudgesicles :-)

Chipotles are smoked and dried chipotles and then reconstituted in sauce or oil. I think they're both pretty spicy, but different flavors.

Old Bay- haven't had it in forever but LOVE it on blue crab-oh!

Bay leaves- don't use 'em. But my MIL grows hers fresh, so that's what she uses.

The picture on my blog is a combination of concentrated food color (Americolor) being swirled into vanilla cake batter, to make purple for Rainbow Cupcakes! You were close!

Ingrid said...

I use Old Bay just about everytime I make seafood but really can't tell you what it tastes like. Kind of a seasoned salt? If you get the regular kind you need to be careful as I find it to be salty. I prefer and use the Old Bar RUB.

I also use bay leaves though the dried and again use it in stews and many soups. I add it in the beginning and pull it out before serving.

Sorry not really much help! :(

Lara said...

oooh, my kids would go gaga over those fudgsicles.

I can't help you with many of those questions, but I did recently buy chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and I thought they were spicier than the jalapenos. We bought Goya brand.

Kristen said...

I am going to make the fudgesicles (and thanks for the Dixie Cup trick)!

I buy all my herbs generic if I can (bay leaves are bay leaves to me) thing is that the longer they sit, the less potent they are, so you can up the volume a bit with herbs if they have been in your cupboard a while (more North American's underseason)

Kim said...

We love making homemade pops all year. Thanks for this recipe. It's always great to find something that my son can also eat. He is allergic to so many things, but he will be so pleased with these. Thanks for sharing!!

My mom is from the eastern shore in Maryland and they use Old Bay for everything. I think it's mainly for crab and seafood. It's kinda like seasoned salt, but has more flavor. I think most people like it. You'll have to let us know what you chose to buy and try out : )

Elyse said...

Mmm, I love fudgesicles--especially with a scoop of PB on them. Trust me; it's delicious! What a great summer treat! I'm not a huge fan of Old Bay seasoning, but I do use bay leaves in my tomato sauces. Not sure why's just something I always saw my mom do :)