Monday, April 13, 2009


This is the easiest bread I have ever made. It is FULL of flavor and is soft and chewy with a delicious cheesy surface. Whether you use it to sop up a great sauce…or slice it for a sandwich, this recipe is a winner. The smell of it baking will bring your family running to the table.
2 ¾ cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon dry active yeast
1 clove garlic minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoon olive oil (divided)
1 cup warm milk
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
1 cup mozzarella shredded
1 teaspoon dried rosemary

Mix first 9 ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix in warm milk and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Mix well and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic (it will take just a couple minutes). Cover with plastic wrap and let this sit in a warm place for about 45 minutes. Punch down and place on a greased baking sheet. Pat dough out into a rectangle about ½” thick. Brush top with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with rosemary, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let this sit for about 30 minutes. With 2 fingers, make dents every few inches over surface of focaccia. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until golden. Remove to a rack.

This hearty bread also makes an excellent sandwich.

Make sure you pop over to Tried and True Cooking With Heidi
She is giving away a prize to celebrate her 100th post.


Donna-FFW said...

This loos terrific. I envision it with a bowl of veggie soup to dip in..

Kristen said...

This looks so yummy! Making bread is not something I'm good at (yet), I look forward to following this recipe in yet another attempt for bread success

Katherine Aucoin said...

This does looks easy to make especially for me who is not a strong baker. I can't wait to give this a try and make some panninis with it!

girlichef said...

I KNOW this would bring my family running! I swear woman, I love everything you make!

teresa said...

The pictures made my mouth water! I love cheesy breads, this looks so good!

Netts Nook said...

Great looking Focaccia Coleen your tempting me mouth watering.

Wandering Coyote said...

Beautiful job! Focaccia is one of my favourite breads EVER, and I don't make it nearly enough...

Van Santos said...

Oh, wow! Impressive. Now, is the final product a "firm" bread or does it tend to crumble?

Coleen's Recipes said...

To does not crumble.

Van said...

Thanks Coleen. I've been looking for a recipe that I can make on a weekly basis (I have one other) that I can use for sandwich.

I've made a number that crumble after a day or so, it gets very annoying after some time.

Kerstin said...

Yum, yum, yum - cheesy focaccia is my kind of bread! It looks fantastic!

Monica H said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my hamburger buns. I will definitely try your method next time. I don't know why I didn't think of that!

You're genius and this focaccia looks nice and cheesy- love it!

Elyse said...

I've never made a focaccia, but after seeing you describe it as "easy" and "delicious," I can't wait to try it. Focaccia is one of my favorite breads, but I usually only buy it. Now, I'm totally going to try to make it!