Tuesday, March 16, 2021

BROCCOLI and BACON SALAD

This is my new FAVORITE salad, I can't seem to get enough of it. It's super easy to make and is TWICE AS GOOD the 2nd day which is very handy.

I still can't get picky-picky husband to even try it (he has a war against broccoli, cauliflower and brussels sprouts) but that's OK, it leaves more for me 👍



This isn’t really a traditional recipe where you have to measure everything (well...except for the dressing). It’s more of a guideline  (add/exchange any ingredient to your liking). Here is where I start:

5-6 cups bite size RAW broccoli pieces
very thinly sliced green onion (as much as you like)
8 slices bacon fried crisp and crumbled
1 cup SHARP cheddar cheese (grated)
1 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup salted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup  craisens (or) raisins

If there is an ingredient you don’t like....leave it out.  If there is an ingredient you REALLY like...add more...I add extra bacon 😉 

Dressing:
3/4 cup mayo (not Miracle Whip)
1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
pinch cayenne
Whisk together
Note: This tastes weird right after you make it, but mellows and blends overnight.....very tasty.

Toss the salad ingredients and cover with the dressing. It looks like there is too much dressing, but there isn’t........after it sits overnight.........somehow, it all works together.






Before serving, I gently toss it again and top it with a little extra crisp bacon and sunflower seeds.


ENJOY !!!

NOTE: I've tried adding the crisp bacon pieces just before serving, with hopes it would stay crisp.  I've also added the bacon to the salad BEFORE it sits overnight.  I like BOTH approaches....so what I do, is add half the bacon to the salad immediately, so it flavors the dressing overnight.....then I add the other half of the crisp bacon just before serving and it stays crisp.