Tuesday, January 24, 2012

PISTACHIO PUDDING with a twist

Today's post is more of an idea, rather than a real recipe. Picky-picky husband loves the old Watergate Salad. I never thought of it as a salad, but that's what they called it: instant pistachio pudding, Cool Whip and crushed pineapple...talk about shades of childhood!!

I re-discovered the old recipe recently and remembered that I haven't made it in years because Cool Whip now gives hubby indigestion, part of getting older I guess.

I decided to experiment and see if I could substitute real whipped cream for the Cool Whip. The result was delicious and much fresher tasting than using the non-dairy topping of yester-year.
Beat 2 cups of whipping cream + 1/2 cup milk with a small (4 serving size) box of instant pistachio pudding until you get stiff peaks, then fold in an 8 ounce can of well drained, crushed pineapple and a half cup (loosely packed) sweetened coconut. Chopped maraschino cherries would go well in this, but I didn't have any.

Chill for about an hour or so (it keeps well and doesn't deflate). Makes about 4 cups of pudding.

12 comments:

Debbie said...

This is a timeless dessert Coleen and delicious too!

Mr. Bill said...

Wow...that sounds so good and easy!

Leslie said...

Looks yummy and refreshing! I don't think I have ever had the watergate salad.

Prims and Annies said...

This is my absolute favorite...when I start eating it is hard to stop..so I don't make it but maybe once a year.
Have a great day.
Smiles and huggs
Maxie

Teresa said...

We call this 'green fluff' in my family- and it is one of my faves!! I will definitely be trying it with the real cream...yum!

Peggy Clyde said...

Thanks for reminding me of this salad. We used to put mini marshmallows in it also. It would even be better with real whipped cream. Thanks.

Mini Baker said...

wow! sounds delicious and exotic at the same time!!
just found your blog.. can't wait to browse around!

Angela/Soap Mom's Kitchen/Sutherland Soap Creamery said...

Easy recipe and looks fabulous! I will have to go with real cream. YUMMY!

Shelby said...

ohh, I love this stuff and I bet its even better with REAL whipped cream!

A Feast for the Eyes said...

I like your version much better. I confess that I do like the creaminess of cool whip, but ever since I discovered it's not dairy at all, I don't use it anymore. It's been years since I've had this, at potlucks. It's addicting. I'm going to make it anyway, and bring back my childhood nostalgia.

Lynda said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I made this salad last Easter, and wished I had tried real cream instead. My mother made it for years, but cool whip really isn't that tasty.

betty r said...

This brought back memories Coleen! This used to be something I would make for Sunday dinners. And just today we had pistachio pudding layered with whipped cream for dessert.. nice surprise to come here and see someone else had pistachio on their mind:)