Tuesday, December 21, 2010

OATMEAL CRANBERRY WALNUT COOKIES

If you are looking for one more easy cookie to round out your holiday baking, try these delicious cookies. They are light, crispy and buttery tasting (not the standard heavy oatmeal cookie).

1 cup butter (room temperature)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon butter extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups quick cooking oats
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups Craisens (sweetened dried cranberries)
1 cup chopped walnuts
Beat butter, sugars, eggs and extracts for FIVE MINUTES (important to the light crispy nature of this cookie).
.
In another bowl, mix the flour, oatmeal, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add this dry mixture to the butter mixture (1 cup at a time) beating well after each addition.
.
Stir in the dried cranberries and walnuts. Let this finished cookie dough sit for about 5 minutes.
.
Roll the dough into 1" balls (dough will be a little sticky). Place the dough balls on lightly greased cookie sheet, about 2" apart. Bake in 350 preheated oven for 12-14 minutes (my oven took 13 minutes).

NOTE: Before you put the cookie dough balls on the baking sheet, look for the side that shows the most cranberries and put that side up (the prettiest side).

.
NOTE: These freeze very well. I drizzled a vanilla glaze on my cookies (for the holidays) but that is not necessary. Makes about 4 dozen?

7 comments:

teresa said...

lovely colleen, they sound delicious! i hope you're having a great holiday!

Kathleen said...

These sound perfect! Merry Christmas!

lin rich said...

I'm so glad I found this site. I think my husband will like these a lot, and they look so pretty. I was looking for a fudge filled peanut butter cookie when I found this blog and you have so many delicious sounding recipes to try. I will be back on this page often. I wish I had a printer hooked up to my computer, I think I'm going to have writers cramp from copying so many of them down :) Thank you so much. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Leslie said...

Yep..these are the perfect year round cookie!
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Monica H said...

The icing on these makes them extra special. Iced oatmeal cookies remind me of my husbands' late grandpa :-)

I wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas Coleen!

Blessings to you,
monica

Sunny said...

Lord Have Mercy these look awesome!!!! I wont be adding the glaze- but I'm making these for my hubby's family here in England this weekend. xx

Saffron said...

Yum – you’ve made me speechless with your amazing combo of flavors. I must make these cookies!