Monday, September 6, 2010

ROASTED BEEF & ZITI (serious comfort food)

This is comfort food at its best!!! It is FULL of flavor, rings all of the right rich flavor bells and it reheats excellently. I make it with big pieces of trimmed chuck roast that become "fall apart" tender because its all cooked at a very low temperature in the oven for 2½ hours.

2 pounds trimmed chuck roast
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
(1) 6 ounce can of tomato paste
4 cups beef broth (not bullion cubes)
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons dry basil
1 teaspoon dry oregano
½ teaspoon fennel seed (do not leave out)
pinch of dry red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon of white sugar (do not leave out)
3 cups uncooked ziti
2 cups sliced mushrooms

Trim as much fat from the chuck steak as you can and brown it well in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Place the browned meat in a large oven proof pan that has a lid (or you can use foil). Saute the onions in the same frying pan until transparent. Add the tomato paste, beef broth and seasonings to the onions and heat it a little so the tomato paste completely mixes with the broth. Pour over the meat.

Put a tight fitting lid on the pan or seal it TIGHTLY with foil, and bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours. After 2 hours, remove the lid, and stir in 3 cups of UNcooked pasta and the mushrooms. Make sure the pasta and mushrooms are covered with sauce.

Put the lid back on (or cover tightly with foil) and turn the oven up to 350; bake for 30 more minutes.

NOTE:You can use any short, tube shaped noodle, but ziti works the best. NOTE: You can use ground beef, but brown it then drain it very well before baking.

NOTE: When baking the chuck roast, the low oven temperature of 300 degrees is important in order to get very tender beef.
NOTE: If you want to add cheese to this dish, I suggest Mozzarella or Jack cheese and add it AFTER everything is fully cooked, just mix in and put back in the oven for a few minutes, uncovered.


Donna said...

Thanks so much Coleen! I tried this years ago and loved it. Never found a recipe til now. Yum-can't wait to make it.

Kristen said...

that would be perfect foe my family, thank you

Anonymous said...

Oh I can imagine the fennel makes this great.

This recipe is why I like your way of cooking.
The fennel, the sugar, the low temp., the browning of meat very well,I could go on and on.

Thanks for being so generous and sharing with us, everything you do to put it over the top delicious. I have seen recipes very similar, but yours is what makes something good...Great.

teresa said...

comfort food indeed! love this!

charlotte mgcc said...

welcome back coleen! i missed you and your wonderful recipes. hope you had a great summer!
i was having a brain lapse in what to make for supper this week when i was making my menu and this fits the bill perfectly, thank you!

Anonymous said...

Ok I didn't know what to cook today thought I would wonder the food blogs and find something. It was cold here in Canada today and this seemed to fit the spot. And it did, thanks a bunch.....

steak and eggs said...

So glad to see you back. Really miss reading your site this summer and all your lovely recipes. I have used your pizza sauce recipe and love it. I had some left over once and used it in a meatloaf and it was delicious. One of the best meatloaf I ever made due to the sauce. Thank you for the recipes and the great pictures.

Cheryl said...

Wow, that looks yummy, I have never eaten anything like it!

Heidi Germanaus said...

I'm definitely going to try this! And to echo the many others, glad ur back! I missed reading your blog then raiding my pantry.

vincent said...


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use or just go to and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,


rebecca said...

so glad to see you back on again. hope you had a beautiful summer.

slowfoodmitch said...

Great recipe! On the subject of herbs, I have been buying the organic fresh herbs (like the basil and oregano in this recipe) in those hard-to-close plastic containers and the herbs never last more than a week. I prefer the fresh and I do not have an herb garden. When I was in San Diego, my nephew had little potted herbs that he bought at his grocery store for about the same price and they last for three weeks. I will be monitoring the Denver grocery stores for this substitute. Speaking of substitutes, I would use a bison pot roast for this recipe. It is lower in cholesterol and hormone-free. Often they are not at the butcher's counter so I rely on High Plains Bison as they have proven to be a dependable source over the years.

Katy ~ said...

YUM YUM YUM I do love pasta, and Coleen, I'm sure we'll be loving this one!

Karen Brown Letarte said...

Coleen, thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I made it yesterday for a friend's birthday dinner. It was delicious- fantastic! We couldn't stop eating it. I can't wait to fix it for my mom. It is similar to a dish her stepmother used to make, and I know my mom will just love it!
:) Karen

Anonymous said...

Hello. I made this dish this weekend and it was delicious! I cut the meat up into chunks after trimming the fat off so it would be easier to combine with the pasta & used whole wheat pasta which worked very well. Note that 3cups of pasta is not 1 lb. -- if you want to use up the whole bag or box of pasta, you will need to add some more liquid - not sure how much - maybe 1-2 cups. Also, if you want to omit the pasta, I could see removing the meat, thickening the gravy and putting the meat back in, then serving it with mashed potatoes. Great recipe, thanks so much.