Monday, March 22, 2010

SHORTBREAD MELTAWAY COOKIES

My Hubby has started a new hobby...wood turning and I couldn't be happier. I am quickly accumulating beauties like the piece below which is made out of birch (he harvests wind-fallen birch and spruce trees from the forest behind the house). He used to teach college level hand thrown pottery, so I'm guessing some of those skills have carried over to his new wood turning attempts. In any case, I am very happy with the results.

Today's Shortbread Meltaway Cookies are quick, easy and they literally do, melt in your mouth.
.
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup butter (room temperature)
1 teaspoons vanilla
.
Cream the butter, in a stand mixer, until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat until the dough is well mixed and comes away from the sides of the bowl.
.
Roll dough into one inch balls and roll them in sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and lightly press down with a fork. Bake at 350F for 10 to 12 minutes or until the outside edges of the cookie start to turn golden. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.



ENJOY !!!
 

21 comments:

Laura said...

Buckets! I think they look like buckets! And I love them, I'll take one! :D forgot to look at the cookies but the picture was yummy.

Leslie said...

ohhh you should sell them on your site..beautiful!
And the cookies don't look too shabby either!

betty r said...

Meltaway cookies you say..look awesome and taste that way too I'm sure!
Your hubby did some wonderful work with that wood!

Annie Jones said...

I love turned wood items. What a neat hobby for your hubby to have. Maybe he could make a cookie jar for you. :)

Julie said...

Oh, yum...nothing like a wonderful shortbread that just melts in your mouth! That wooden piece is beautiful!

Angela said...

What a talented duo you two make! You can cook and he can turn wood! What a gorgeous bowl! I love the wood grains in it too! It is just so pretty! I'm sure you will find lots of things to do with it.

Monica H said...

Awesome! I bought wood a while back to make bowls and never did. Maybe this will inspire me.

Peggy Clyde. said...

Wonderful woodwork to match the wonderful cookies. Thanks to both of you.

HeatherinSF said...

What a lovely bowl! How nice to have such a handy guy around the house. Your cookies look wonderful. Wishing I had one with my tea tonight :-)

Mary said...

Well good for him , it's a very good hobby and he is quiet good at it. Love your shortbread cookies!

Sonya said...

Wow you both are super talented! I second you selling them on your site:)

Ana Powell said...

Wow, what a great hobby your husband has, awesome work.
You are both great artists, delicious cookies x

Shalinee said...

Ooooh...I love shortbreads that have a metaway feel in the mouth. Would love to try this. MaryMoh from http://www.keeplearningkeepsmiling.com

Katy ~ said...

Yummm..meltaway cookies so good and made with ingredients I have on hand. I could eat them by the handfuls (and I do!).

Wow, that birch "pretty" is pretty special. How nice to have a husband who is such a fine craftsman.

Pip said...

That is so pretty! He is quite talented.

The Sugar Queen said...

The wooden container is beautiful! The cookies look great, too! I really like Lorna Doones, and that is what your cookies remind me of. I'll have to try your recipe out.

Jessie said...

How talented is your husband!!! I love it!!

Sheila said...

Gorgeous bowl and the cookies look great too. Wish my husband would take up a hobby like that!!

A Feast for the Eyes said...

Talent runs in the family. Lucky you, indeed. I made cookies like this years ago, and forgot all about them. They are awesome! I'm feeling tempted...

Ingrid said...

Your hubs new hobby is going to be a win-win situation for the two of you. His work is beautiful. The piece you showed us would make a great utensil canister. I want one! Actually I need three. :)
~ingrid

Debra "Deb" Dresden Disney-Dior said...

I'm beyond impressed with your husband's talent for wood turning and your talent for cooking/baking. I'm speechless as I gaze at the cookies and wooden cannister -- they look like they were made for each other! The cannister and the cookies are the same color and comprise the same lines. WOW! I would LOVE to have that cannister filled, to the brim, with your shortbread meltaways. OMGoodness. It's after 2:30 AM and I'm delightfully LOST in your blog.