Wednesday, March 17, 2010

KATY'S CHICKEN

Katy is one of the sweetest souls I've met in the blogging world. Her web page is called Food for a Hungry Soul; do yourself a favor and check out her recipes. I especially enjoy her chicken recipes because her "Ole Sweetie-Pi" and my "Picky-picky Hubby" have very similar taste when it comes to anything more elaborate than red meat and potatoes.

Katy's original title for today's post was Oven Fried Chicken with Honey Butter Sauce...however at our house, we just called Katy's chicken and it is delicious!! Thanks for sharing the recipe Katy.



1 tender frying chicken, cut up for frying
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 cup butter

SAUCE
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup lemon juice (I used pineapple)
(I added a pinch of dry red pepper flakes)


Dip chicken pieces into mixture of flour, salt, pepper, and paprika. Melt one stick butter in a shallow baking pan in a hot oven (400 degrees). Remove pan from oven. Arrange chicken in single layer in pan, turning to coat with butter. Bake skin side down at(400F) 30 minutes. Turn chicken.

For the sauce, melt 1/4 cup butter and add the honey and lemon juice. Pour the sauce over chicken and bake another 30 minutes or until fork-tender. Baste often, with the sauce, during last 15 minutes of baking,

I decided to use 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken. Assuming I wouldn't need as much flour mixture, I followed Katy’s directions (well almost) and made only half of the flour mixture. I also substituted pineapple juice for the lemon juice. I baked the floured chicken breasts 25 minutes at 400F and then covered them with the sauce and baked them for another 20 minutes (basting them with the sauce every 5 minutes or so).

This recipe is so simple yet produces an extremely tender and juicy chicken breast. I made a few extra and we are looking forward to making some great chicken sammie’s tomorrow.


19 comments:

Sonya said...

I made this too the other day but on the stove top! It was great wasn't it:)

the domestic mama said...

Yum! Oh~ by the way I made your crockpot beans and did a post on it! I am dying to do your buns and the cinnamon rolls.. YUM!

Chef Aimee said...

Thanks for sharing this - I love honey on chicken and like that you used pineapple juice!

Trish said...

Firstly, I so agree about Katy... she has become a special friend for all of us who have had the privilege of crossing paths, hasn't she?!

And yes, this chicken is so easy and so delicious...I am glad she shared it on her post and lookie here....all the way up north this recipe has travelled...grin! Have a great Wednesday!

betty r said...

I too have made 'Katy's Chicken' and it's very good.

Debbie said...

Katy has some wonderful recipes. This chicken recipe sounds good. I like the idea of using pineapple juice instead of lemon since my son doesn't care for lemon. I think we would all enjoy this.

Lori said...

Very sweet. Katy is a very nice and special person.

I like this chicken idea. I will have to give it a go.

Linda said...

Katy is special... and I'll have to try this chicken recipe

Carrie said...

I thought this chicken looked good too!! I LOVE finding great recipe from my foodie friends :-)

Pam said...

Love that chicken! It looks so delicious and a perfect solution for dinner tonight!

Susie said...

That Katy has a way with chicken! YUMMY!

teresa said...

katy really does have the best chicken recipes huh! now i have another chicken recipe to try! this looks wonderful!

Krista said...

I somehow missed this on Katy's blog. Love her, love her recipes. This looks completely delicious. I need to buy some chicken!

Ingrid said...

Looks and sounds terrific. I don't like frying so this is a great recipe for me.


Btw, how'd I miss this on her blog?
~ingrid

Katy ~ said...

Awwwh geesh, Coleen, YOU'RE one of the best. You know I'm always over here stalking your delicious food. I want to live next door to you, but only in the summertime from the looks and sounds of the winter you've had, grins.

Love the change to pineapple juice and the addition of the red pepper flakes. Now I want to do it that way, too. It sounds soooo good!

Thanks for the shoutout. I have those maple buns on my to do list; I think for next weekend. It's maple syrup season here so I'll be able to buy the real stuff fresh. Can't wait to sink my teeth into those buns.

Peggy Clyde. said...

This sounds delicious. I will have to make it. You are right. Katy is a wonderful person just like you!! Thanks.

Monica H said...

loving the sweet and savory combo in this. yum!

erinstartsliving said...

this looks wonderful! i am adding it to my weekly menu for next week!

Aaron and Cera said...

yum! Made it for dinner and the family loved it! Thanks for sharing such good food recipes!