Wednesday, November 18, 2009

CHEDDAR & BACON HASH BROWN SIDE DISH

I needed an easy side dish to go along with some fried chicken yesterday and decided to throw together some "cheater" Au gratin potatoes. I had a bag of fresh hash browns (called Simply Potatoes) so I decided to use those (they are sold, in our market, next to the eggs). I made a quick white sauce, stirred in the hash browns, some cheddar, a little sour cream and some bacon. What more can you ask for?? They were very cream & cheesy-delicious.

1 package Simply Potatoes
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
2¼ cups milk
¼ cup chopped onions sauteed
2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
¼ cup sour cream
4 slices bacon fried crisp and crumbled

This is what the potatoes look like:

In a small, heavy bottomed sauce pan, melt 3 tablespoons butter and add 3 tablespoons flour and simmer for about a minute; stir in the sauteed onions and crumbled bacon. Whisk in the milk (whisk quickly, at first, so you don't get lumps) and cook until the mixture thickens. When it comes to a boil, remove from heat and stir in the cheese, potatoes and sour cream. Pour into a greased 2 quart baking dish and bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes or until bubbly and potatoes are tender.

I don't see why you couldn't use frozen hash browns (as long as you thaw them first).

18 comments:

Sonya said...

Oh Coleen this looks soooo naughty delicious..lol Im bookmarking this one for sure!

Anncoo said...

To save time, this is what I did sometime.

Katy ~ said...

YUM YUM YUM. Without doubt we'll be add this to the repertoire! gosh these look and sound sooooo good!!

Donna-FFW said...

My kids would love this, as they adore yukky McDonalds hash browns. These look so so much better.

Be My Chickadee said...

That brand of hashbrown is a hit at our house, too. Can't wait to turn them into this wonderful-sounding side dish. Thanks again for a great idea.

the domestic mama said...

I must make this!

Anncoo said...

To show my appreciation for your support, please pick the Award from my place.

Nat said...

That would be a lovely morning treat ! I totally agree with you on the prepared potato's as it is breakfast after all and waking up early to grate potato's would certainly take the fun out of eating something this indulgent and yummy : ) ...Thanks for the neat idea...

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

Mmm, this would be good for breakie too. I am hungry now!

the domestic mama said...

oh no.... my site isn't on your list anymore! :( What happened?

Katherine Aucoin said...

Those are good. We do that somestime with sharp cheddar or pepper jack. Now you have me craving this!

Tanyia said...

This looks really good...and sinful...and yummy!

Debbie said...

I'd love that on the side with some scrambled eggs. So good!

Ingrid said...

My kids would be all over your potatoes. Babygirl would have them slathered in sour cream too. I love those bags of potatoes.

Btw, I made your cinnamon rolls! Yes. Yes, I did! They were everything you said and MORE! I am hoping that my photos came out well so that I can post about my experience and the recipe. I can't thank you enough. You and Katy gave me the push (challenge) I needed. The only down side..my youngest decided she didn't like them. Yeah, I know even the twins were shocked and told her she was crazy. We agreed more for us and she's out of luck! :) She's an ornery pain. Next week she'll love them and wonder we didn't save her any. :) Paybacks. I have no idea who she came out like. LOL Thanks again!
~ingrid

Mary said...

These look simply delicious and they're certainly better for you than McDonalds.

Bunny said...

I have to bookmark this Coleen. It looks so darn good. I'm gonna make it for the kids , I know they'll eat it up and love it!!

The Cooking Photographer said...

Save!!!!!!!! Oh yes! I love cheesy hashbrowns.

Wandering Coyote said...

Oh, this looks positively sinful!