Friday, September 4, 2009

PEANUT BUTTER RICE KRISPIE TREATS

A few weeks ago, Heidi at Tried-and-True Cooking with Heidi posted a recipe that she called Old-School Peanut Butter Squares. The recipe caught my eye because it does not call for marshmallows (we like marshmallows, but they aren't always in the pantry). The only tweak I made was to substitute some of the sugar for a little honey (I love the taste of peanut butter with honey). I must say the treats were a big hit around here. With mom's packing school lunches these days, I thought it would be a good time to repeat Heidi's super simple and super tasty recipe.

1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup white sugar (see note)
1 cup peanut butter
5 cups crisp rice cereal

Combine corn syrup and sugar in medium saucepan. Stir until well blended and cook on medium heat until boiling (stirring occasionally). Let boil for 30 seconds and remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter and mix until well blended. Stir in cereal and mix well. Pour into greased 9x13 pan. Lightly spray hands with cooking spray and press mixture into pan. Cool and cut into squares.

NOTE: I removed 2 tablespoons of sugar and replaced it with 2 tablespoons of honey.
NOTE: I let my syrup mixture gently boil for a full minute.
NOTE: I found that you don't have to spray your hands with cooking spray when you press down the mixture. If you dampen your hands and just shake them dry for about 5 seconds, it does the same thing without making the treats greasy.

16 comments:

Mary said...

Very nice something to munch on !

Heidi said...

I'm so glad you liked them Coleen! I will try the honey in place of sugar next time.

Lara said...

I love PB and honey together too. I see these being a great after-school snack.

mamakeith said...

I have to make these! We used to sell something similar in the health food store....I ate TONS of them. Thanks for posting!

Monica H said...

I love simple treats like this. I've never tried them with PB though. great idea!

Juliana said...

Oh! Never had rice krispie with peanut butter, sounds delicious, should give a try :-)

Ingrid said...

That's cool that you don't need marshmallows though I usually have a bag hidden in there somewhere. :)
~ingrid

Carrie said...

My hubbie loves peanut butter so much, these are perfect! I wet my hands before pressing down the rice krispie treats too! It works really well!

Wandering Coyote said...

I've seen so many great peanut butter recipes like this one around food blog land that I really, really need to go and get some peanut butter!

Katy ~ said...

Considering how much I love peanut butter cookies, I wager I would enjoy these equally as much.

teresa said...

mmmmm, a perfect treat, i love anything with pb in it!

LaurenaDoone said...

Hi Coleen..
I am a definate blogger beginner, so am pretty clueless w/how everything works:) I wasn't sure where to post the question I have regarding your 'Slide.com Slideshow.' I figured if I asked it here you'd see it:) I have also created a slideshow, but can't figure out how to post it on the sidebar of my blog..any help? Thanks!! PS love your cooking!

Coleen's Recipes said...

TO LAURENA DOONE: Here is how I added MY slide show:
Top extreme right corner of your blogspot web page, you will see something that says "new post" or "edit post" click on it. Next screen click on LAYOUT. Next screen click on "add gadget". Next screen click on HTML/Java Script. Next screen add the code for your slide show and click save. Thats it!!

LaurenaDoone said...

Thanks coleen! I thought I had tried exactly what you posted, but when I tried again after reading your response it worked! Thanks for the help! happy cooking

girlichef said...

mmmm...reminds me of childhoos! Although I never knew you could make them w/out marshmallows! :D

Christy said...

These would make a fantastic lunch box treat!!! Thanks for the fabulous recipe.