Friday, September 18, 2009

FUN FOOD FACTS & OUR DOG CHLOE

This is our dog Chloe, she just turned five. Our oldest son calls her "his youngest sister" (insinuating that we treat her like a human lol). We bought her from puppy rescue when she was just 6 weeks old and (by the look of the doggie toy basket) she has the run of the house. Her mother was a registered black labrador and her father a Jack Russell Terrier...so, she looks like a lab and is smart like the Jack Russell. She is a sweetie!!
I've put together a list of fun food facts that I hope you will find some use for:

1. Did you know that the pre-shredded cheese in the supermarket is coated with potato starch or powdered cellulose to keep it from clumping up? No wonder freshly shredded cheese tastes better (and melts better).

2. If you have a problem with meatballs crumbling when you brown them, chill them in the fridge for half an hour before you fry them.

3. Keep a small box of powdered milk in your pantry. It is always good to bake with in a pinch. If a cake or cookie recipe calls for cream, you can use the powdered milk (using only half of the water) and it will work.

4. Do you have toddlers at home? Freeze leftovers in ice cube trays then pop them out and store the cubes in a freezer Ziploc type bag. The smaller size microwave quickly and they make a great no-fuss lunch for your little ones.

5. Does a recipe call for just a few drops of lemon juice? Poke a lemon with a fork and squeeze out what you need, then seal the fork holes with a little butter and put back in the fridge.

6. Cottage cheese and sour cream last longer if you store the containers upside down (I put mine on a dish just in case there is something wrong with the container seal).

7. If you live in a "non-corn growing state" like I do, fresh corn on the cob can be less than primo at times. A spoon of sugar in the boiling water will give your corn a great fresh taste. This works great for fresh broccoli too.

8. When making a recipe that has blueberries, raisins, chocolate chips, etc. in it, coat them with flour before you fold them into the batter. It will keep them from sinking to the bottom of your cake.

9. If you are caramelizing sugar for a recipe, make sure you use a bright/light colored pan so you can keep an eye on the color of the sugar.

10. To keep bananas from turning brown, wrap them in a dark plastic trash bag and keep them in the vegetable crisper of your fridge. They will stay bright yellow for several days.

HAVE A GREAT (and safe) WEEKEND !!

20 comments:

HoneyB said...

Great tips Coleen! I didn't know that about the cheese and a cool idea for the lemon!!

Yeah, we treat our cats like kids too. For all his grumpiness, Grumpy melts like butter over his pets.

girlichef said...

Chloe is a beauty! And thanks for the fun facts :)

Annie Jones said...

Great tips, but how is it I forget good tips sometimes? I turned over my sour cream and cottage cheese for years, but somewhere along the line I quit doing it and forgot all about that tip. Thanks for reminding me. :)

betty r said...

Those are good tips Coleen..I will think twice about buying pre-shredded cheese!

Peggy Clyde. said...

Thanks for those great food facts. I learn something from you every time you post.

Debbie said...

Thank you for the tips! I certainly appreciate the one about powdered milk....good to know this!

Monica H said...

Your dog looks so silky. Very pretty.

I knew about some of these tips, but it's nice to know about the powdered milk, the cottage cheese and bananas. Neat!

Cheryl said...

Your doggie is a beautiful one! Thanks for the tips!

teresa said...

what fun tips, thank you! i your puppy is such a cutie!

Ingrid said...

Thanks for the tips. The only one I'm not certain works 100% of the time is flouring your fruit. It didn't work for me and my berries this summer. They ALL sunk! :(

Have a happy and safe weekend too!
~ingrid

Barbara Bakes said...

Love the tips! Thanks!

LaurenaDoone said...

The banana one surprised me! I LOVE bananas, but can stand them once they start getting too ripe..have you tried the bag/fridge trick that you listed???

Nishant said...

Yeah, we treat our cats like kids too. For all his grumpiness, Grumpy melts like butter over his pets.
Domain registration india

Marge said...

Wonderful tips! Thanks :) Think I will grating my own cheese from now on.....

Megan said...

Ecellent tips! Think I'll start grating my own cheese. :)
I keep thinking about the info you gave about the olive oil VS mayo. Great info there too!
My (only child) daughter referes to our dachshund as her little brother. And he acts like it! They are so much part of the family.

P.S. Why turn the cottage cheese upside down?

Bunny said...

We have a dog named Chloe too Coleen!! I tell my hubby she's his furry daughter! LOL!!! I love the banana tip, I wish I would have known that before I went to the store, my nanners are getting pretty ripe already! All your tips are fantastic!

Katy ~ said...

Coleen, I think I didn't know any of your fun food facts. What an interesting post. LOVED it.

And isn't that Chole a little beauty! Just look at those soulful eyes; couldn't you just pour yourself into them and get lost in her love!

Queen B. said...

chloe is gorgeous !

Krista said...

Love all of the tips! Very helpful. Thank you!

GarlicBOSS said...

Nice tips...thanks