Wednesday, May 27, 2009


I had big plans to barbecue outside today, and then Mother Nature decided to rain on us all day, I went for plan B (the oven). The outcome was not as good as grilling outdoors, but an excellent alternative, for sure. Cooking "low and slow" in the oven, gives you a steak more tender than you could ever get on a grill.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup beef broth (or water)
1 cup favorite barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon DRY mustard
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 pound chuck steak (1" thick)

Cut the chuck steak apart, into serving size pieces (cutting out some of the obvious fat lines). Brown the meat in the olive oil until it gets a nice crusty brown surface, then put it in a 9x13 baking pan.

In the same pan you browned the meat in, saute the veggies until they wilt. Add the rest of the ingredients (not the meat) and simmer for a couple of minutes.

Pour sauce over meat and cover the baking pan with foil (tightly). bake at 300 degrees for 2 to 2½ hours or until "fall apart" tender. Thicken sauce if necessary.

NOTE:  It is VERY IMPORTANT to bake at 300° to get the MOST TENDER steak........anything higher than that, will not work.

NOTE: It is also VERY IMPORTANT to brown the meat well before you bake it to get the maximum flavor.


Katy ~ said...

Coleen, this is perfect for my Sweetie-Pi! He'll LOVE this.

Donna-FFW said...

Never thought about doing this in the oven. Sounds like a PERFECT alternative!

Mommy Gourmet said...

Okay I have to say, my son comes into the room and sees this picture and says, "oohhhh that looks good, you know."

He is so right!

girlichef said...

yummy!! Chuck steak it..and it looks perfect cooked this way.

Debbie said...

What a different idea...looks so good. I love those mashed potatoes...I take those over meat anytime!

Debbie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Susie said...

mmmmmmmmm... so going on my meal plan next week!

Lara said...

My husband is inviting himself over to your house for dinner right now. Steak and potatoes are his dream dinner and yours look extra perfect!

Tracy B at FeedSack Cooking said...


Can you move to Alabama and cook for me. Your meals always looks so yummy.

Kerstin said...

I bet your whole house smelled amazing! I'm a BBQ fan, but my hubby goes crazy over the stuff. Your BBQ looks delicious!

teresa said...

Oh my gosh, this looks so good! Great job!

Monica H said...

Those potatoes are calling my name!

BTW, I blogged about the candy cake today! Come check it out!

Elyse said...

I love "low and slow" and I love "tender" when it comes to my meat. While the grill offers some great flavor, it certainly seems as if the oven worked for you :)

Barbecue Recipes said...

Every time I have tried to cook a barbecue dish in the oven it comes out greasy and charred, maybe I need to cook it "Low and Slow". Thanks! You may have solved my rainy day barbecue problems. Excellent!

Kim said...

I have never seen this cooking method either. Congrats on teaching us something new! It looks terrifc and melt in your mouth tender. Bet the men in our lives would love this one!

Aray Brown said...

I have some beef top loin strip steaks in my refrigerator. Can I do the same thing w/the stri steaks that u did with the chuck roast steak? different temps and times of course.