Friday, May 1, 2009

LIGHT AS AIR PINWHEELS

I found this fabulous recipe for Phyllo Pinwheels on a blog called Cindy’s Place. It is very quick and easy and yet so impressive to look at. They are deliciously light as air and would look fantastic on a baby shower or wedding shower table.
1 package of Pepperidge Farm phyllo dough (freezer section)
1 egg
maraschino cherries


Thaw both sheets of phyllo dough for 40 minutes or until soft enough to handle. Work with one sheet at a time. Unfold the phyllo dough and press out any fold marks. Cut the phyllo dough into 3 full length rectangles, then cut each rectangle into 3 squares each (total 9 per sheet).

For each square, cut (starting in the corners) ¾ of the way to the center (see diagram). Lift a cut corner and secure it in the center (using a micro-dot of water if necessary).Repeat for other corners like this:

Place pinwheels on parchment paper lined baking sheet and brush them with egg wash (1 egg beaten with a little water). Set half of a maraschino cherry in the center. Bake in preheated oven (350°) for 30 minutes or until golden. Remove to cooling rack. Bring 1 cup of powdered sugar + 2 tablespoons of water + 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract + ¼ teaspoon of almond extract to a boil and remove from heat. Brush the cooked pinwheels with this glaze. The glaze will dry to the touch after a little while. These are SO tasty!

NOTE: Cindy's web page is in Portuguese, however, she has been more than helpful in interpreting recipes. I hope you go visit her.

22 comments:

Ana Powell said...

Hi Coleen
Congratulations on your Blog, great work and lovely recipes.
Beautiful decorated pinwheels.
Ana x

Cristine said...

Those pinwheels are gorgeous! And I bet they taste fantastic!

Congrats on your award and thanks for sharing a bit about you! It was fun getting to know you better! :)

Katy ~ said...

Coleen, you are so very dear. Your words deeply touched me. You have depth and soul. Magnificent!

And LOVE the pinwheels! OM Stars they make such a beautiful presentation. Occasionally I have to bring goodies to work, and this would add several points to my "coolness"!!!!! I can't wait!!!

girlichef said...

These are so pretty! And congrats on your award (fun finding out more about you)!

Donna-FFW said...

Congrats on your award. Loved learning stuff about you!! These pinwheels are adorable and thanks for the diagram, makes it easy to understand..

Kathy said...

I love getting to know others!!! Thanks for sharing! I'm also a blunt person that is still learning to bite her tongue!!! ;) lol... Love the photos and recipe!!!

April said...

Your pinwheels are beautiful!!

Linda said...

Congrats on the award... and great pinwheel recipe... yummm

teresa said...

I LOVE the pinwheels, so cute, and the diagram helps a lot!

So fun learning more about you. I am supersticious too, always knocking on wood!

Kerstin said...

What pretty pinwheels (I always appreciate your diagrams too!)!
Congrats on the award! I always enjoy reading more about the writer behind each blog :)

Wandering Coyote said...

Wow, I have all this phyllo sitting in my freezer and this is a great idea for using it up! I could also put jam in the middle, too. Cool! And thanks for the "confessions." I always love reading more about blog pals.

Cindy said...

Coleen.Im so happy that you made the pinwheels,they look fantastic!
And yes they are very easy to make ,and very tasty,yummy...And if u or somebody else need me to translate any other recipie i will be more than happy to do it...

Food addict said...

Those pinwheels look amazing!! In answer to your question~those treats on the top of my blog are Peanut butter suprise cookies. I got the idea from Jenny at Picky Palate but I adapted it a little. I will post the recipe because I don't have it on my blog yet!! Thanks for checking out my blog. I love looking at yours!

Debbie said...

Congrats on the award and I just love all your pictures. I have never been to Alaska but I can see why you love traveling there. Beautiful pinwheels. I also suffered from agoraphobia many, many years ago.

Heidi said...

I finally got around to making the hungarian goulash. Thanks for submitting that recipe, it was great!

Ingrid said...

Coleen thank you for sharing both the recipe and yourself. I understand well how difficult that was as I am a private person too.
~ingrid

Gloria Chadwick said...

The pinwheel cookies look absolutely delicious! I enjoyed learning more about you, especially that you're a writer! :)

Wanda said...

The pinwheels remind me of the 4th of July...very interesting family history Coleen...

Food addict said...

Sorry Coleen that I didn't specify in my recipe. I used a normal size muffin tin but I think Jenny At Picky Palate used a mini one so use whichever you like. I personally like a big one rather tan a small one because you get more peanut butter dough in each one!! Hope you enjoy!!

Monica H said...

#3 made me laugh. I love all the photos- thanks for sharing with us.

These pinwheels look so good and seem so simple. Impressive for such little work!

Elyse said...

These pinwheels are so cute!! I love that you uploaded your diagram!

Tina Morton said...

these look sooo great!!!!! good work! I will have to make these next time I go to the "mother-in-laws"!!!!